Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Devil on wheels
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
I'm going in a couple of weeks to France, for my first Avalanche Alpe d'Huez race. My bike is all set up (Giant Reign) but I still have some doubts about the tires.

It's a 2h long soft DH race. No uphills, only going down for miles and miles and miles. The beginning of the course will be snowy but 95% of the way will be in dry mountain hard and rocky trails.

What tires should I take with me? I'm a Maxxis fan so:

1. - High Roller 2.35 + 2.1

2. - High Roller 2.35 + 2.35

3. - Minion 2.35 + High Roller 2.35

My actual set up is option 1.- but I think I need something more radical for this race.

Any other sugestions are welcome.

Thanks a lot. :thumbsup:

Studer

·
Registered
4 Posts
1st, the mega isnt .......2hrs......if you ride that slow then i dont even think you will qualify.
2nd,the mega isnt........'a soft DH race'.....it has some very rocky tech sections
3rd, the mega isnt.......all DH.......it has some good steep uphill sections

therefore, run the lightest tires you can get away with for the ups......with lots of pressure so you dont pinch flat.....definatly 2.35's, and think about going tubeless for puncture resistance...?

good luck. youll need it!

·
Devil on wheels
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice Rob!

Yeah, I know it's not 2h's downhill, hope i'll do a far better time than that. When I said it I was trying to pass the message that it's for a loooooong track.

Rocky tech sections? I'm waiting for them!

Uphill? I heard rumours about that but could never confirm it. I also do some xc for improving my cardio fitness and I'm taking with me pretty light bike so it wont be a problem.

I leaning to the 2 x HR2.35 option.

Thanks

Studer

·
Registered
4 Posts
yea, the 2.35's will be right. i made the mistake of running 2.5 super tackys on my dh bike when i did it! not a good plan......
the top guys sometimes use semi-slicks on the back. you dont have ANY grip on the snow no matter what tire you run, so i guess they figure it will help on the hardpacked uphill/flat fireroad sections.
the course doesnt have any long uphills, but there is a very long flat section after the village that roll's like it uphill unless you keep your speed up. then just after that there are some very steep (pushing) switchbacks and some short steep uphills you can just get up if you power down the hills before! then closer to the end there is a short uphill road section, then the finish line sprit is a small hill-but very long to sprint after 1hr+ of riding!

enjoy.

·
Devil on wheels
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, I'm back from the biggest MTB race in the world and it was simply wonderful.

About the tires. 2.3 is a minimum, for shure. No folding tires! It's toos rocky.

I'm a pretty fit guy and not a great downhiller so mabye I could have taken with me something bigger up front (2.5 HR, 2.3 minion or even 2.5 minion). I rained and it was pretty muddy, but since there where some long pedaling sections, mud tires would be too slow.

Bottom line: for a great DH guy, that controls well his bike but needs a help on the pedaling sections - 2x 2.3 HR single ply. For fit guys, not so strong on DH 2.5 minion + 2.3 HR

It was impressive. Maxxis tires where in more than 80% of the bikes.

Cheers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.