Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a pair of 2.4 schwalbe kevlar beaded tires from an individual who made the mistake of flipping them inside out for shipping :madman:. Clearly he wanted to fit them into a too-small box, and they could be crammed in easier with the knobs not facing externally. I can easily flip one bead, but have not found a way yet to flip both simultaneously, which kind of seems like what would be required to restore them to right side out without totally destroying them in the process (the tension gets much higher after one side is flipped). Is there a viable method, or are these tires hosed? What little I found regarding this situation by Googling, seems to indicate that inside out bike tires may not be salvageable, but maybe someone here can advise.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
The tires are fine. Folding tires are all packaged folded with about 1/2 of the total length inverted. If you're setting them up tubeless, you may want to install them with a tube first to shape the tire and help getting the beads to catch air.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I bought a pair of 2.4 schwalbe kevlar beaded tires from an individual who made the mistake of flipping them inside out for shipping :madman:. Clearly he wanted to fit them into a too-small box, and they could be crammed in easier with the knobs not facing externally. I can easily flip one bead, but have not found a way yet to flip both simultaneously, which kind of seems like what would be required to restore them to right side out without totally destroying them in the process (the tension gets much higher after one side is flipped). Is there a viable method, or are these tires hosed? What little I found regarding this situation by Googling, seems to indicate that inside out bike tires may not be salvageable, but maybe someone here can advise.
Sounds like it was intentional, not a mistake. ;)

I've flipped tires inside to clean sealant, etc. No problem them to outside-in.

Grab the beads and press the tread away from you. Work your way around. The tire will twist but that's okay. Untwist it as you go.

I went out and did my 2.8" tire in less than a minute, flipped it inside-out and outside-in. Simple. A few kinds but I'm stronger than the rubber and it worked fine.

If you feel it will tear, back off a little, untwist and continue on.

·
Always in the wrong gear
3,317 Posts
I’ll be honest, and try to be not snarky:

I’m struggling to see how you’re having trouble with this. I don’t get the part about how ‘the tension increases on one bead’ it’s a floppy donut.
I wouldnt trust or ride any tire that could be damaged by turning it inside out or back right-side out.
You do realize that Kevlar is what they make motorcycle armor and bulletproof vests out of, right? It’s the strongest part of that tire by a LONG SHOT.

I don’t know that I’ve ever owned a tire that I haven’t turned inside out for one reason or another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds like it was intentional, not a mistake. ;)

I've flipped tires inside to clean sealant, etc. No problem them to outside-in.

Grab the beads and press the tread away from you. Work your way around. The tire will twist but that's okay. Untwist it as you go.

I went out and did my 2.8" tire in less than a minute, flipped it inside-out and outside-in. Simple. A few kinds but I'm stronger than the rubber and it worked fine.

If you feel it will tear, back off a little, untwist and continue on.
Thanks, this method was quick and the tires look no worse for wear. I can only assume the doomsayers that said otherwise were talking about wire bead tires, or simply misinformed. One of them was sold a new tire by the bike shop (which seems really sad to me now).

Lessons learned:

1. Too much research can be counterproductive (analysis paralysis).

2. Just do it, and use your man hands while you're at it.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I purposely flip fat tires when I swap as the seasons change. It helps keep the beads "out" so when I flip the tread back out to mount, the beads want to push to the bead seat and make them easier to set up tubeless.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.