Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use my CrossCheck mostly for general road riding. Seeking more comfort, I switched the factory Richey SpeedMax Cross 32s for Panaracer Pasela 37s. Nice improvement. Then I decided to go the limit and put on Schwalbe Big Apples, which are 50s, I think (they barely fit the frame).

Now and then both tires have popped off the rims under no particular condition. Today, for example, I deflated the rear tire to put the wheel back on. After installing the wheel, I pumped it up to 40, came back a while later to find several inches of tube bulging out between rim and tire. I deflated, reseated, and inflated the tire to 40, and went for a short ride to the coffee store. When I came out of the store, one whole side of the tire was off the rim.

Can anyone explain what's happening and why? The Ritchey tires never came off. I _think_ they were harder to install (fit tighter), but I'm not sure. The rims are Alex AL-DV15, according to the spec sheet.

Bill

·
( )
755 Posts
Some tires fit looser than others. I have a couple tire/rim combos that fit so loosely it's difficult to get them on. I use big apples on DT swiss rims and they're a little loose. I stop periodically as i inflate it to make sure the tire bead is set in the rim all around. I've never had one pop off though.

·
Just Ride!
806 Posts
I run 2.1 Kenda Klaws on Mavic MA3s w/c I believe is 20.5 in width and no issues w/ this setup. Is it rolling off the same spot? What's your air pressure like. Low air pressure could do that to a tire.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.