Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike has been in storage (hanging upside down) in my garage for at least 15 years.

The tires were flat when I took the bike down, but after pumping them up they do hold air.

My question is, should I just buy new tires and tubes since they are so old (the tread is fine)?

My concern is that the rubber is so old that it can lead to rips/flats when I'm riding.

Thanks!

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
It's fine. Cracks in the rubber are a cosmetic problem, IMO. As long as the fabric casing is good, so are you.

You might consider new brake pads, though. Those can harden up over time and not stop the bike too well anymore.

Bearings feel alright? The grease can dry out over time.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Cracks in rubber is sign of them getting brittle. You can ride them, but I would plan on changing soon. If the tires haven't developed a jagged razor edge along the bead then your ok. If they've gotten brittle the bead edge can give you a mean cut. I hermetically sealed a Ground Control S once and busted it out for a ride on my 10th Aniv Fat and it was like new. Unfortunately I cut the sidewall on a rock!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.