Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
President Skroob
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I live in Phoenix so we seldom get rain and enough to cause muddy conditions. I run a High Roller in the front and a Larson TT in the rear of my racing bike. Well, it rained this past weekend and my HR caked up to the point of pushing. The Larson wasn't exactly a top performer as well.

Can I pick up a mud tire for the front just for cornering and leave the Larson in the rear? This would save me some dough or is the cash savings not worth the performance loss? I have pretty much decided on Resolutions (not sold yet but my LBS recommends them for muddy conditions).

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
The Resolutions are awful in sticky mud (though the redesigned '07 version may be better).

No tire is going to perform well in sticky mud. A packed-up tire is pretty much useless. If you were walking because your front tire was clogged you would likely be walking with anything short of skinny full-on mudders on both ends.

·
Registered
833 Posts
good mud tires have side lugs that do not protrude too much out of the casing and open thread design, look at the hutchinson Mosquito (dicontinued?) and bulldog if you want a relatively large volume tire. The perfect, use-specific mud tire is also pretty narrow, like 1.9 or 1.85

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
since you said you dont ride in mud very much its probably not worth it to buy actual mud specific tires. i would just try to find a tire that has decent all-around performance and sheds mud better than what your current tires do. continental vertical pros might be a good choice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.