Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
SS FR HT
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im almost done with my DJ/FR build. i ordered bars and grips so i just need to finish my drivetrain and tires. I would like to run deity vendettas but im not sure if they will be strong enough. These would be my first 3 piece CrMo cranks set. Im a bigger guy at 220 with gear, I do a lot of drops and northshore riding, along with urban assualt and a lot of dirt doubles. I dont like dropping to flat. I think these cranks would work but im not sure. Does anyone know of any good deals on new deity's.
Now to tires. This is also going to be my first none Nevegal tire. I need something that is going to be strong enough for urban and grippy enouh for northshore. I would like a faster rolling tire just because its going to be a single speed.The three tires im looking at are small block 8's, Larsen TT, and intense micro knobbies. I would like the tires to last around a year.

·
The Beaver
1,153 Posts
I can't comment on cranks, but I can on tires.

Get two sets... one for each discipline.

Maxxis
Holy rollers
Minions

Specialized (made in the same factory as Maxxis)
Rythem lite (what I am using)
Clutch's (also what I primarily use)

If you go with something in between you are going to be disappointed in both. If you go with just one area the other will suck... just get two sets.

·
SS FR HT
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im getting a set of bling blings and highrollers both 60a the LBS is giving me a good deal on both. And im ordering the vendettas this week. thanks

·
SS FR HT
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here it is, I'll post picks of my bike with tires when I get time to drive into town to pick them up.

Attachments

·
SS FR HT
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
not like some bikes out there, its going to have blue pedals and black seat. blue sprocket and black or white cranks, black tires(duh). Its also just the white background. look at this TOP

Attachments

·
SS FR HT
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay so the deity's are going to be a little more then i want to spend, because i just had some unexpected bills to pay. So im thinking that the FSA gravity gap would be a better choice. I would just take off the granny gear and use the 32 tooth sprocket with a 14 tooth cog. its going to be slightly better of a gear ratio and have bash guard. Oh and this is what i was runny on my FR rig, never had a problem. Im not sure if it will fit on my bike, it has a 73mm BB shell and 50MM chain line. I belive the cranks have a 73mm bb shell and a 51mm chainline. Would they work? Thanks for any and all help.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
wow sick build man! no front brake though?

...i wish i could say i am almost done :( (still in the process)

·
SS FR HT
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
im getting the front brake sometime before spring. its going to be $134. The bike will be fine for ridding around Osh with just a rear brake. how far are you on your build??

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
well its rideable as of now, i just want a front brake and my bars are cut stupid short by the previous owner, so i want some wider ones, also its a ss and im going to a 1x9 so it can be my xc/fr/dh/dj machine

and i suppose getting a whole new snowboard setup and repairs to my truck doesnt help the bike build...

·
Registered
348 Posts
Dude, if you want to save money and aren't a weight weenie, there's a set of brand new M800-1 Saint cranks on ebay for $100.

·
SS FR HT
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
but it wont have a warranty, i nned the warranty. I also can get the gravity cranks a lot cheaper than i thought. an i hucked my old gravity cranks off things bashed the hell out of them and only got paint scrapes, but that was on my FS. Do you think they would work with my hardtail. i think all the specs match up right??

·
SS FR HT
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Are you running singlespeed or 1x9? You don't need a guide for single speed. And the Stinger doesn't work well for 1x9 setups. It helps keep tension on the bottom, but the chain can still pop off the top.

You would need the BB mount/E-type one though... you don't have ISCG tabs.

·
SS FR HT
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Single speed, I was going to run it as a chain tensioner. So i would get the Mtn BB version And i would it between the BB and the bearing cups.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts