Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for some input on what would be a good compromise between traction and speed. Would be willing to give up some of the cornering if I could get a faster tire. I have purchased the Nevegals for my Soma SS and the traction and cornering is incredible. But, the tires just do not seem to roll that fast. Good possibility it is the rider, but I have heard of this issue in other threads. Ride mostly single track, with some roots and rocks, hard pack, but at times when rain has been lacking could be some loose stuff on top.

Thanks.

G

·
_
850 Posts
im brand spankin' new to the 29er s/s scene and bought a Panny Rampage and threw it on up front and bought a Kenda Nev DTC and put it on the rear. Tomorrow will be my first ride with the 29er. I live in so cal and will be riding hard packed s/t mixed with some sandy sections as well as some rocks, not too many roots though. I'm hoping the DTC provides some relief from the rolling resistance of the Nev.

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
mbjunky said:
I am looking for some input on what would be a good compromise between traction and speed. Would be willing to give up some of the cornering if I could get a faster tire. I have purchased the Nevegals for my Soma SS and the traction and cornering is incredible. But, the tires just do not seem to roll that fast. Good possibility it is the rider, but I have heard of this issue in other threads. Ride mostly single track, with some roots and rocks, hard pack, but at times when rain has been lacking could be some loose stuff on top.

Thanks.

G
Although I have not tested it myself, I believe that the Resolution might just be the tire you are looking for if fast rolling with good traction is your aim.

Several posters on this forum use them and like them very much. The Nevegal and the Rampage are slower rolling tires, with the Neve being the slowest with the most grip.

It's usually all about compromises... :)

One other point... I have been running both the Rampage and the Nevegal for a while now, and usually ride to the trailheads.

During this time, the centre knobs have worn considerably making the tires faster.

This may be something to consider in your case. Eventually the centre knobs will wear down and the tires get faster for you, so it may just be a matter of riding them more... :thumbsup: :D

That can't be a bad thing, can it?.. :D

R.

·
i heart singletrack
1,553 Posts
bontrager jones xr. run the front version front and rear, with the rear tread reversed. i'm 160lb and run the tires tubeless with 30psi. fast, big, able to deal with rocks, pretty darn light (esp. tubeless)... for the dirt i ride, it's the optimal summer setup.

but i'm running a nevegal front, maxxis ignitor rear combo right now. not as fast as the bontragers, but definitely a step up in loose-conditions traction (and weight unfortunately).

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
mbjunky said:

Thanks.

G
If you want speed, but a little volume - the Karma 2.2 or the XR 2.25's would be a lot faster than the Nevegals (which is a fun tire, but I know what you mean in terms of the speed issue as I am running a pair on my Sugar 293 at the moment).

If you really want a speed tire for hard pack, the baseline that all others are judged against and a very worthy set of tires to own for everyone would be the WTB Nanoraptors. Nano's are a favorite race tire for hard pack singletrack and they do fly...

BB

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
mgersib said:
bontrager jones xr. run the front version front and rear, with the rear tread reversed. i'm 160lb and run the tires tubeless with 30psi. fast, big, able to deal with rocks, pretty darn light (esp. tubeless)... for the dirt i ride, it's the optimal summer setup.

but i'm running a nevegal front, maxxis ignitor rear combo right now. not as fast as the bontragers, but definitely a step up in loose-conditions traction (and weight unfortunately).
I like this combo too. Nice volume for a hardtail with the 2.25 front XR on the rear. I am running in reverse direction right now but may change it to run front direction on the back come spring time.

I have not use the Bontrager XR rear tire yet. Is it significantly slower? The IRC Notos seemed like a good rear tire speed / grip compromise too the short time I used it.

Greg

·
Registered
262 Posts
The Resolution rocks

I recently replaced a rear Bontrager XR that had a sidewall tear with a Specialized Resolution. I had heard of folks having sidewall tears with the Bontrager after just a few rides. I had less than a ten rides on mine.:skep:

The Resolution is flat out amazing. It has incredible traction and rolls so much faster than a tire with it's tread pattern should roll- it's fast. The height of the treads adds some cushion also. It is much faster than the Bontrager, and the increase in traction is leagues ahead. I'm running a Weirwolf in the front, but this tire seems like it would be a great front tire, albeit with less cushion than the WW.

I ride in desert terrain- rocky, loose shale, and decomposed granite scree. Unless this tire has some catostrophic weakness that has yet to reveal itself, it's the cats pajammas.:D There are little or no compromises with this tire. I can't speak for it's mud performance.

The tire was difficult to find locally, so I orderd direct from Specialized. I'm not sure why this tire hasn't recieved more attention. The designers at Specialized have not something impressive here.:)

·
Registered
11,774 Posts
For that..

mbjunky said:

Thanks.

G
I like the resolution up front and a bonty ACX in back or the rampage up front and a specialized fast track in back..

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,657 Posts
I rode Karma 2.0 for a while and thought they were okay. They certainly do what they are supposed to do, which is weigh very little and go faster than squirrels on fire.

But I did eventually sell them and go back to Ignitors, my favorite combo of speed and traction. And there HAVE to still be some 600g versions still available somewhere... anyone with a secret stockpile? I know I have a personal set in reserve.;)

JMH

·
And He was Not
1,686 Posts
I'm finding the Resolution to be a good "Do All" type tire that leans a little to the more aggressive side, rather than race side. I've run them on the local hard pack and the extra loomy N.C.Mtns. They have performed flawlesly. Mtn. Bike Tires should have knobs, and these have some nice ones. :D

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
G-Live said:
The IRC Notos seemed like a good rear tire speed / grip compromise too the short time I used it.

Greg
I agree, the Notos is a very underrated tire IMO. It rolls really well with more cornering grip then you'd think by looking at it.

I think a fast XC setup (while keeping good cornering traction) would be a Notos or Ignitor in front and a Karma 2.2 or Nano in back.

Crows probably have the least rolling resistance, but the knobs are almost nonexistant.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Great info

Thanks for all the replies, there is a lot of good feedback. I was trying to find more info on the Resolutions - anyone know what they weigh? Yes a weight weenie who wants a fast rolling tire that corners great:D

Let's hear some more about the Seguros.

·
i heart singletrack
1,553 Posts
G-Live said:
I have not use the Bontrager XR rear tire yet. Is it significantly slower? The IRC Notos seemed like a good rear tire speed / grip compromise too the short time I used it.

Greg
the rear xr has a little less volume, and a bit different profile. also, the center knobs seem kind of 'draggy' to me under acceleration. the front xr going either direction mounted on the rear feels better, faster, to me. plus, i like the extra volume. that's always good on a hardtail, imho.

·
i heart singletrack
1,553 Posts
moondoggy said:
I recently replaced a rear Bontrager XR that had a sidewall tear with a Specialized Resolution. I had heard of folks having sidewall tears with the Bontrager after just a few rides. I had less than a ten rides on mine.:skep:
Wow... I guess I got lucky getting a whole season (and counting) on mine running tubeless. I'm 160 lbs, so i'm not exactly a clydesdale, but i definitely push tires hard.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.