Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
11 is one louder than 10
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tired of being "fat", signed up for Xterra - now I need tips! (long and boring)

Titus peeps and lurkers, spilling some guts here, likely in an attempt to self motivate so just ignore this thread unless you can offer guidance or have been in this situation.

So, for about the past oh, say 20 years, I've rationalized being fat with the fact I'm a pretty strong rider, and in my teens/20's a decent athelete. Regardless of my gut, man boobs, and blocky build, I could always "hang", with guys much skinnier and appearing more fit than I.

Part of this is I have naturally good endurance, and a high threshold for pain. Coupled with an attitude that I just don't ever quit. If I'm on the bike, I can turn the pedals.

That said, I'm 5'10, and currently 220lbs again (my high 12 years ago was 242, my low 4 years ago was 202). I can carry more weight as I have a large bone structure and a fair amount of muscle under the FAT.

I should weigh 185-195 realistically, 200 should be maintainable.

So... I signed up for an off-road triathalon since my years of riding always allow me to basically fall out of bed and ride 20 miles even if I take 2 months off.

Got into the pool yesterday with the kids and had to hold the side after 100 freaking yards, I mean, I was hurting. (Yet I can go to spin class and tear it up without problem...)

I've got a bit of IT band syndrome so I rationalize not running. My wife tells me it's because the first time I run I go out and go 3 miles to prove I can run. Then my hip and knee hurt like hell and I quit running.

So, I turn 35 this year. I'm fat. I took a higher stress job 2 years ago. I've been to the ER with chest pain (cleared), had multiple tests run since I now feel my PVC's. It's likely stress as I've cleared all the damn tests. I'm on low dose BP and Cholesterol meds. Some of it's heredity, most of it is eating/stress/weight.

I like my job on some levels, but love my kids more. I can't rationalize my ability to go out and "hang" with more fit guys as me being fit. It's me being nuts with some competitiveness and years of a base.

So, I've got until may 20th to get prepared to swim 1/2 mile in a cold lake, ride 13 miles, and trail run 4 miles.

I can fall out of bed and survive the 13 mile ride, but the acutal fear of drowning should be good motivation I figure to really hit the pool. The hope that I don't trash my knees should motivate me to train properly for the run.

I'm tired of being the guy that gets told "if you lost 20 lbs, you would be an ass kicker on the bike" (common comment I get on mtb group rides).

I'm tired of being out of town for work (currently sitting in an airport), rationalizing the cheeseburger because I'm on the road, and I'll go to spin this week.

So, the fear of drowning should help. My question this this... anyone out there that can really recommend a good training program/book that will focus on the swim, and gradually getting ready for the run?

My thought is Swim 2-3 times a week is possible as it's low contact?

Spin/Ride? 2-3 times?

Run 1-2?

Suppose I should post this in the training section now that I've droned on...

Thanks for any tips. - GG

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
Go GB!!!

Sometime the right motivation is all you need.. I am a good tad overweight and just turned 27... I am also trying no to self-justify my food abuse... my dad had a bad episode with stones in the kidneys some years ago.... he basically was told that the stones were the beginning of a series of problems he would have if he stayed overweight.... well.. he bought 2 mtbs one for him and one for me... and we started biking... he has managed to keep his weight somewhat lower... while after my move to Germany I went from 185 lbs to 220 with my 5'11" height... I am trying to not give myself any excuses and just ride and learn to close my mouth at the right time when I sit at the table....

Regarding training... I don't have much experience..sorry.. but I am starting to run...at as your wife says...you should try to start little by little giving your body a chance to get used to the AGGRESSION that running puts on your legs... I suppose you should do the same with the swimming and let your body tell you how hard to go...

Keep us posted!

Good luck,
Cris

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hey man,
Good for you. My wife does triathlons (just did Ironman Florida) and trains like a crazy person. She uses Trainingpeaks.com with some success. In fact, it helped her qualify for the Boston Marathon a few years ago. It has training programs for all levels. I used it to train for my first MTB race last summer and ended up meeting all of my goals. You can subscribe for a full membership or just purchase one training program specifically for your event.
Good luck!

·
ಠ_ಠ
3,190 Posts
I would sign up for a xc race or two. you'd be in the clydesdale category and from the sound of it, you may even win. I did a couple, and they were extremely fun. I got embarrassed my first race, but it motivated the fcuk outta me.

When I bought my MotoLite, it was so I could have a trail worthy race bike. Since then I've gone from super weight weenie race build to something else (26.3 -> 29.0), and have given up on my racing aspirations. But, I remember looking at food as extra weight I'd have to lug up the hill.

·
sit! stay!
1,125 Posts
Ah, yes... been there almost exactly...

i was about 195 lbs... mid-thirties... the kids... the job... all of it... college weight about 150 lbs...

so, i recommend deciding if you keep weight off better if you loose it fast or slow... i am a fast loser... (or maybe a plain old loser, but that's a different story!)...

i quickly figured out that i could be it great shape but not loose weight... yep... gotta stop eating... the good old FDA recommended exercise more AND eat less... can't do just one...

so, i had to change forever... i couldn't eat like i used to ever again... that sucked but it was a fact...:madman: so i cut back big time on the calories... hunger is very painful for about 6 weeks, but then you get used to it in a strange sort of way...

the first five lbs are easy... the rest is pure suffering... but i dropped the weight... down to about 155lbs... and have kept it off for years now...

the key was i had to change my lifestyle completely regarding food... fortunately i really like mountain biking so the exercise comes easy...

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have been in a simular situation. I was 235+ at 5'7' now 165. I lift weights 4 times a week ,ride at least three times a week and surf a couple times a week. It's the amount of food I put in my face is my problem. I have that see food diet problem, I see food I eat it. What has help me is cutting out all sugar and white flour in my daily diet. I read labels. I try to eat three moderate meals a day. When I go to a resteraunt I try not to eat everything they put in front of me , especially the bread and chips in mexican eateries. I just got sick and tired of being sick and tired of being fat. I always irratioanally rationalized that I am big boned or I carry a lot of muscle or I need the extra calories because I work out so much. The reallity is I like to overeat. Sorry for the rant.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
I'm tired of getting old.....

day light savings time and the holidays and winter are murder on your girlish figure. I think almost everybody is feeling fat right now. cross training is probably the thing to do. but running is too hard on the joints.

I've gained 13 pounds since daylight savings time. and I feel them for sure.

·
Ti is addictive
2,894 Posts
Winter Sucks.......its cold, its wet, and the cluster of holidays makes us all go fat.

My summer weight is 180 lbs at 5'8'.........My winter weight is close to 200Lbs.....Once new years kicks in I start losing weight (diet and some cardio......). Already shed 6 lbs in 3 weeks.

GG I'm a carbon copy of you......High stress job, less time, BP elevated due to both.....My doc's put me on Niacin therapy(vitamins) to decrease my cholesterol and BP definately drops to normal when I shuck the 15 extra lbs I carry in the winter.......

I just started Spinning and geez in 2 weeks I can feel a difference already.(thus my road bike gift from the wife.) Plus an extra 20+ lbs on ones joints can affect you when you run, thus the cycling aspect is so much better).

Diet is most important I found for me (less "white" death......sugar, flower, etc.) and no food after 8:00 pm........

But like all new starts to a new year, it only takes a little temptation to make one fall off the wagon so pray for me all........

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
GG, you rock, takes guts and courage to write that.... I too have what I call a way stressful job, in fact, I live in a plane almost. Did some 300 flights last calendar year, shucks, that makes me cringe.. Now living in Europe with a colder winter than New Zealand, have not got out as much. I am quite tall 6'3 and around 190 at present. I am the heaviest I have been, I feel bad about it. I think it is the food we eat, I ahve gone 2 weeks now with F all sugar and not eating so much. Am starting to get back to what seems like normal... I am like you, I can ride and not give up, run some, but swimming, man I am kak at that, I can kee[ going for weeks and it does not get easier. Hoping it happens well for you... Now am rambling... But best of luck, just keep at it.... Worst thing about us who travel loads, hard to exercise. Thise gyms in hotels suck, as do those crazy exercycles... bla bla bla......... Go GG....

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Seems like we have the "Large & Fit Society"

I'm 6 ft and currently at 222. I get down to about 215 in the summer when I'm riding all the time. I used to water ski competitively(slalom) until about 8 years ago, I was very fit at 205. I got up to about 237 about 5 years ago before I took up riding again. I go up to 225 during the holidays then get back down to 215 with all the interval training and riding. This year, I am trying to get below 210 before I even get on the bike(we dont start riding until mid april), so far I've lost 6 pounds from my new years weight of 228. I've gone on a lowfat diet of about 2200 calories a day. I wake up at 4am and go to the gym 5 days a week, do a bunch of core and ab stuff, then run 2-3 miles on the treadmill. So far its working, I lost 3 pounds last week alone. I dont starve myself either, just cut back the fat, add protien, apple or banana when I need a snack. You just have to keep the input of calories below the output and you will lose weight. I figure I'm on the right track, I've got 12 more pounds to go, then I can get on the bike and I will probably drop another 5 pounds getting into riding shape with the interval training and road rides.

·
Registered
13,180 Posts
Green Giant said:
Got into the pool yesterday with the kids and had to hold the side after 100 freaking yards, I mean, I was hurting. (Yet I can go to spin class and tear it up without problem...)

Swimming shape is so different than biking shape. Just like biking shape is different than being in running shape. I'm the same way. I used to swim a mile a day but a 10 minute ride on the bike would've killed me I'm sure. Now I can ride all day but two or three laps in the pool and I'm toast.

KRob--------------------> Not very bouyant.:confused:

Oh, and good luck on the training. Stick to it and you'll get there.

·
thats right living legend
6,360 Posts
Might I make a suggestion... why don't you try "the cocaina" now I know what your thinking ...expensive! but that's why they invented crack... for dope fiends on a budget. :thumbsup:

·
ಠ_ಠ
3,190 Posts
blackagness said:
Might I make a suggestion... why don't you try "the cocaina" now I know what your thinking ...expensive! but that's why they invented crack... for dope fiends on a budget. :thumbsup:
:lol: :lol:

Is blackagness funny?!?

HELLS YEAH!!!

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
blackagness said:
BA you Bad A s s......................:D :D :D

·
the train keeps rollin
3,214 Posts
Same story here, lardass that can ride fast, wants his youth back.

Sounds like we need a "Titus Biggest Loser Contest"

$75 entry fee, proceeds go to a new I9 wheelset for the winner!

Whoever can drop the highest percentage of weight between March and September.

Who's In?

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
snowdrifter said:
Same story here, lardass that can ride fast, wants his youth back.

Sounds like we need a "Titus Biggest Loser Contest"

$75 entry fee, proceeds go to a new I9 wheelset for the winner!

Whoever can drop the highest percentage of weight between March and September.

Who's In?
ummm... tempting...

·
aus-10 night
73 Posts
You should really PM ScorpionWoman.... she's a personal trainer that knows her stuff really well. This woman runs 8 miles, then does bikes 16 right after without blinking.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Well I would agree with your wife that your approach to running is way off.

Your first step to becoming a capable runner is to go to a running store and get measured and have a gait anaylsis done to place you in a proper size and catagory of shoe. My suggestion from there wouild be to start walking 35 min 3 days per week to begin to adapt the tendons and ligaments to the rigors of the eccentric contractions of running. During this period of low intersity exercise it is a good chance for you to get on top of your IT band syndrome. Without knowing what is happiining exactly I don't feel comfortable recommending any type of treatment. Check out www.Coolrunning.com and www.runinjuryfree.com. They have alot of advice of the treatment of that fairly common syndrome. After 2 weeks of walking I would start adding 5 min or running to each 35 min run. Adding 5 min per week to each of your runs will put you running 30 min three days per week in 8 weeks. From there I would start doing one day of speed work, and some longer and shorter runs until its time to employ some sharpening stratagies for your race. Anyway particularlly with running you need to start slow and increase gradually and send a light traiining stimilus regulary. (Hence the Walking 3 days per week). All of this is designed to prevent injuries. You should have plently of time to prepare before may. My only concern is do you really have the time to run 3 days per week Swim 2 and bike 1 with one day off? I think that would be the ideal split for you. Mon Run Tue Swim Wed Run Thur Swim Fri Run Sun Bike. Train your weaknesses race your strengths. hence the little focus on bikes.

Good luck let me know if I can help.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.