Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Would you hit the trail on this tire?

• Get those sad things in the trash right now!

• Maybe another week or two?

• Good for the season!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
1,872 Posts
I would run that on the rear for a while longer. Cornering lugs still look pretty decent. I’ve found that DHR IIs retain a sharp edge on the braking lugs for quite a while too, even when the knob height wears down; looks like that is the case with this one too.

· MTBR Member since 2001...
331 Posts
You can certainly get a few more miles out of it. I'd ride on it casually. If it were my only tire, it would only be on my bike for the time it took a replacement to arrive. Hopefully you keep 3-4 new tires in the garage like many of us do here.

· Registered
2,773 Posts
If you live where I do and are in a drought and every trail is as dry as pavement -I'd leave that tire. At least on the rear. No need to spend a boat load of money to have a good deep knob that doesn't have any dirt to grab in to. The leading edge is worn so not ideal but giving the right conditions it's okay.
You can mount it in the wrong direction and get your square edges back into the traction direction.

I don't know how cornering would be affected, but given the wear pattern I feel it is safe to say you aren't leaning it hard into corners.
My tires usually have really good side lugs left when I replace a tire. haaa

· Thicc Member
2,252 Posts
Do you drag your rear tire when braking? Or just ride on a lot of straight trails? All my rears die when I under cut or rip off the cornering knobs. I've never worn out the center on a rear tire (or any tire for that matter), not even a semislick.

· Advanced Slacker
15,808 Posts
To echo what some others have said.... if the side knobs are OK and you are still OK with the drive/braking grip and are appreciating the faster rolling worn down knobs... sure, keep running it in the rear. (I don't suffer worn tires in the front).

Of course, if that is what you like (faster rolling / less grip), you might consider a faster rolling tire next time you buy new.

I just replaced a worn down Aggressor becuase the lack of grip was getting to be a PITA in the wet conditions I ride in Upstate NY. But I might actually stick it back on for my trip to Moab next month.

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all your answers! To answer a few of the questions: I'm in dryer-than-a-bone California. I do ride a fair bit of asphalt connecting trails near home. I don't particularly drag the rear. I'm not the best at cornering, but I swear I'm getting much better at it this last year and a half [and working on it]! This tire has been my front since new and grip is becoming an issue, especially as I'm recently wanting to ride some of the steeper, looser trails around here. I may well switch this to the rear, although I'll have to see if my current DHR rear is more or less worn than this one. [Front wheel now has a nice new DHF, btw.]

· furker
918 Posts
That tire probably has worn through the soft compound and is into a harder compound layer. If so, the height of the blocks will only be half the problem for lost traction. The harder compound will have less traction.

On the other hand, in the rear once it is into the harder compound it will roll nice and fast and will wear like iron. For dry hardpack, that tire would basically ride like an Maxxis Aspen in the rear (for better or worse).

Rolling Speed 5/5
Cornering Control 2/5
Braking Traction 2/5

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.