Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Air Pirate
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 LTS-1 rolling the original Mavic 217 wheels. It is time to get some new wheels. I spotted some Mavic EX721 wheels that I like. Mavic recommends a tire size of 2.3 to 3.0 with these rims. I would like to try a wider tire than I am running now, which is currently WTB Velociraptors in 2.1 width.

The clearance in the rear triangle looks a bit tight for a wide tire. Has anyone had any experience running 2.3 or wider in their LTS?

·
Registered
523 Posts
I think the practical limit is the space between the brake pads, at least on my '96.
Even with thin KoolStop pads, I have to jam the side knobs on a 2.1 Smoke past the pads. You *might* be able to squeeze a 2.3 in there if it had very small knobs on it.

·
Registered
534 Posts
i've ridden with a 2.3 tire. it is tight but will fit. i don't think i would go bigger. if you actually plan on riding in any mud, be prepared to stop alot as the rear will pretty much seize up as it will get clogged pretty quickly.

·
Air Pirate
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I ended up purchasing wheels with Mavic 719's. Probably going to stay with the 2.1 Velociraptors for now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts