Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have them on my XC bike up for sale but have only run XC width tires.

I need a wheelbuild for my new single speed and want to know how wide of tires folks are running successfully as I am considering these rims for that build as well.

Thanks in advance,
FoShizzle

·
crash test dummy
545 Posts
FoShizzle said:

I need a wheelbuild for my new single speed and want to know how wide of tires folks are running successfully as I am considering these rims for that build as well.

Thanks in advance,
FoShizzle
I am running a Kenda Blue Groove 2.3 as my front tire without any problems or excessive roll. Wheel is an XR4.1d laced to a hope XC hub.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Squeaky Wheel said:
2.35 Kendas here. They squirm just a tad under hard cornering but have not released from the sidewall, burped (Stan's) or had any other problems.
Thank you gentleman.....

and since according to El Beastro I am a virtual 12 year old girl on my bike, I doubt I would then have any issues.

Squeaky, do me a favor, this time keep Sean away from my new bike that Larry is building. He jinxed my road bike Larry sold me by putting his [email protected]@ on it and I ended up having to sell it.

Also, would you go with the DT Swiss or wait for the XM819s for the single speed....Larry was told about 2 weeks but of course we are at the mercy of Mavic :rolleyes:

Cheers

·
crash test dummy
545 Posts
Well I just bent my XR4.1d...

...doing what I've done for years on my hardtail with plain ol' Mavic 517s. So I'm going to try Mavic 717s this time.

Honestly though, it was a pretty big impact, and it was probably rider error. Up until that point the wheel felt solid and strong.

FoShizzle said:
Thank you gentleman.....

and since according to El Beastro I am a virtual 12 year old girl on my bike, I doubt I would then have any issues.

Squeaky, do me a favor, this time keep Sean away from my new bike that Larry is building. He jinxed my road bike Larry sold me by putting his [email protected]@ on it and I ended up having to sell it.

Also, would you go with the DT Swiss or wait for the XM819s for the single speed....Larry was told about 2 weeks but of course we are at the mercy of Mavic :rolleyes:

Cheers

·
Bodhisattva
10,848 Posts
When I rebuilt my Hammerhead wheels in the fall I did DT 4.1's with Stan's, supercomps & alloy nipples. Put XM819 with brass nipples & 14/15's on the Pack. King hubs all around.

The DT setup is definitely lighter & I can't tell a difference in stiffness. Larry builds a great wheel & can make anything seem stiff.
If I had to do it again, I probably would have done XM819's on both. The older rims on my HH were 3.1's, which were the same as the 819, and they took a beating over 2 years. Only reason I replaced them was that I was "upgrading" from King Discos to ISOs so I just sold the old set as a whole & started over.

If you're planning on running tubeless, either Stan's or UST tires, I suggest the UST rims. A little heavier, but stronger & more fool-proof than the Stan's strips in my experience.

If you're really nice then I might put my tuchas on that bike before it ships. My arse on the saddle portents as much good luck as breaking a bottle of dom perignon on a new ship.

·
Registered
11,771 Posts
2.35 max

FoShizzle said:

Thanks in advance,
FoShizzle
is what ive noticed so far. Also for me i get excessive roll with less than 35psi. I have vowed for using a 2.3 NBX(f) and 2.1 Nev(r). They work real well on these rims..

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
2.5 Nevegal

I running a Kenda Nevegal 2.5 up front on my XR4.1d. I've only got about a month on the 2.5 (was running the Nevegal 2.35 before that over the past year) but I've had no problems. I am running a fairly heavy (300-400gram) DH tube on the 2.5 though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.