Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a very narrow width between chainstays. With a 26 x 2.0 tire (Hutchinson Scorpion UST), the tires rub the left Chainstay. With a 26 x 2.0 Hutchinson Python UST I have a few millimeters between the left chainstay and the tire. The right side has plenty of room due to the assymetrical chainstays and the seatstays have plenty of room. I have never had this problem before as I used either 1.75 or 1.95 tires. I have now upgraded to UST wheels and these 2 tires are what I purchased.

My question is: How close it too close? With only a few millimeters of clearance will this be an issue if the trail gets really muddy? Should I not let the tire get that close to the chainstay? Should I stick with my narrower tires? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

·
Riding free's the mind
1,014 Posts
Too bad

Yikes, too bad 2.0" tires run so close to your chain stays, though Hutchinson's run pretty wide for 2" tires compared to other manufacturers.

Yeah, mud will be a huge issue, in particular if it gathers on your chainstay. What happens in my experience is that the mud will start to impede the chain and if your tires get caked, the mud on them can throw the chain off the cassette or chainring as they rotate by. Ultimately depending on the mud, your tire will eventually get stuck.

I think my Ells Truth has about 1/4"-1/2" per side using 2.3" Continental verti protection tires. 3 choices- don't ride in the mud, buy a new frame, or only use narrow tires.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.