Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Rider, Builder, Dreamer
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm helping a friend get set up for his next CX race bike. He's currently on the Raleigh RXC Pro and thinking about something new. He's a big dude (6'2, 230#) and a powerhouse. He wants to run the biggest tires he can to facilitate monstertruckability over some of the more technical courses.

Right now we're looking at a Santa Cruz Stigmata with CX-1 build. What are you other guys running for wheel/tire combos on the Stigmata? I'm particularly interested in carbon tubeless options, with 308-40c tires. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
I'm on carbon tubeless wheels and run a Nano (40c) up front and Cross Boss (35c) in the rear. The Nano is massive, although not very light. It's like 520g if I remember right. That's more than some lightweight 29er XC tires (Thunder Burt, Specialized Renegade, etc)

·
Formerly of Kent
12,352 Posts
I'm not going to lie, I find it very weird that "CX racing" and "tubular" do not go hand in hand on MTBR. Only on a mountain bike board would a second-rate technology (for the application) be the first thing out of people's mouths. Similarly, only on MTBR would a 40mm tire be considered a CX tire. As a mountain biker who also races CX, this continually perplexes me.

That said, the Specialized Trigger Pro 2Bliss looks like it might fit the bill. Or, the Challenge Gravel Grinder 38mm.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts