Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current AM bike weighs around 34lb/35lb.

The bike came with Kenda Nevegal 2.35 tires each weighing at 730g. I'm considering going with the slightly thinner Panaracer XC Fire pro 2.1 which weigh around 598g each.

Will the total weight difference of 264g make a noticeable difference?
Is it even worth going with light tubes as well (125g each tube) ?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Rotational weight is easily the most noticeable of any weight reduction. The further from the centre of rotation the bigger the difference, so you will notice a difference. I had high rollers (2.35) on front and rear and changed to Nobby nics I dropped around 400g and noticed a big difference. Obviously the actual tire has an impact I have tried the panracer's but i'd image they will roll better than the nevegals so all round there will be an improvement in pedalling.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
broom broom said:
Rotational weight is easily the most noticeable of any weight reduction. The further from the centre of rotation the bigger the difference, so you will notice a difference. I had high rollers (2.35) on front and rear and changed to Nobby nics I dropped around 400g and noticed a big difference. Obviously the actual tire has an impact I have tried the panracer's but i'd image they will roll better than the nevegals so all round there will be an improvement in pedalling.
The Nobby nics weigh less than 500g which is impressive.

However the price at $60/each is pretty high.

·
meow meow
10,622 Posts
ive heard 1 pound of rotational weight feels like an extra three pounds on your frame. you will cut 1/2 a pound but it will feel like you are losing 1.5 pounds. i think its worth it, your acceleration will be much better. idk about the tubes, ask the dudes at your lbs their opinion on them.

·
Registered
298 Posts
tire under 600g for AM riding is just stupid (unless you LOVE fixing flats on trail)
I use tires in the 600-750g range mostly and save weight somewhere else... How heavy are your rims? What's your weight? People tend to use heavier rims than necessary... I have 450g rims and they are plenty strong for my style of riding and my weight of 78kg

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info guys.

Ok since saving weight at the wheels is noticeable, what relatively cheap tires would be a good light weight choice without losing too much performance?

btw I'll be using my AM mostly for XC and Aggressive XC.

I can always put the Nevegals back on when I go to rougher terrain.

·
Registered
197 Posts
misuge said:
tire under 600g for AM riding is just stupid (unless you LOVE fixing flats on trail)
I use tires in the 600-750g range mostly and save weight somewhere else... How heavy are your rims? What's your weight? People tend to use heavier rims than necessary... I have 450g rims and they are plenty strong for my style of riding and my weight of 78kg
I guess it depends what your definition of AM is since it is a broad spectrum of mountain biking and also the rider and how smooth they are. I think big volume tires like nobby nics 2.4 or mountain kings 2.4 are fine for most riding and both are under 650.

I think saving weight on tire choice is going to be cheaper than discussing rim or wheel choice.

@OP:

Tire choice is a difficult question to ask as everyone has their opinions, it also depends on general riding conditions. Have a look at mountain kings or perhaps a maxxis offering such as the ardent, aspen or ignitor for a little more grip. Also remember that you could have a grippy front tyre with a faster rolling on the rear (crossmark (r) with ignitor (f) etc)

·
Its got what plants crave
5,933 Posts
I actually think the 2.35 Nevvies roll pretty well. I like them. But I'm no XC weight weenie dude either.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The rear why I wanted to go with thinnger lighter tires was because the trails I ride have lots of climb. But then again, wider/heavier tires have better traction or it's kind of a trade off.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
Dic, there have been many people that gave positive reviews on the panaracer fire xc so take this for what it is worth - my opinion. I think the xc pro's are garbage tires for anything other than hardpack and even then, they're not great. If there are any roots or rocks the xc pro's will slide all over them if the trail is even remotely wet.
i'd highly rec the MK 2.4, even in the SS version, over the panaracers.

·
Its got what plants crave
5,933 Posts
I think the Panracer Fires are great tires for all around XC riding, especially in dry and hardpack to medium loose terrain, not good in mud tho. But to even compare them to a big azz knobby like a 2.35 Nev is kind of a weird comparison. One is designed to roll fairly quickly, and isn't that wide or aggressive. The other is a pretty burly tire, that has lots of volume and width.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I think as with every tire thread you quickly realise that the biggest associated word is compromise. You either go for ultra grippy slow rolling heavy beasts, skinny fast rolling mud slicers or the middle ground. The middle ground is the tire that rolls pretty well, holds ok in corners but lets go eventually and not the best on rocks or roots but good enough to get you through. High volume 2.4's might be the answer for you - lowish weight and fast rolling but strong enough to take AM abuse; non committal to either side like the swiss :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
I normaly roll tires that weigh as much as your Neves. Right now I am using 1200g DH tires and OMG! is my bike slow. It's like having my brakes on. I have to pedal on the downhills, and forget about coasting on the flats. So yes, lighter tires do help you roll faster. Like Broomx2 says, the key words is compromise.

·
Registered
830 Posts
b-kul said:
btw, if you want a cheap light tire look at the irc microb, $20 each and good reveiws.
can ya post a link to these tires ?????? couldnt find anything with google on them....

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
Lighter tires/rims do help climb up SMOOTH surface where there is little resistance other than gravity. Heavier tires/rims help climbing rough due to better "flywheel" momentum.

I can't quantify that, its a feeling, and the "flywheel" effect is my theory. I feel I get bounced backwards and off line using lighter tires on rough climbing trails more easily than "motoring" up the same rocky trail with heavier tires on the same bike. Maybe I'm pedaling harder pushing the heavier tires up a rocky climb, but it feels easier and I'm more confident.

·
biking is fun
2,365 Posts
If your bike already weighs 34-35 pounds then putting sub 700 gram tires seems kinda pointless. It will still be pretty slow at climbing because its a heavy bike (you will only lose about a pound) but you will sacrifice a ton of DHability. You will lose traction, cornering, and resistance to punctures. In short you will lose some confidence. I agree with others who have posted when they sey it depends on what you want out of it. So if you really want to climb then get an XC bike. there are some killer slack XC/AM style bikes coming out right now.

Either sell your bike and get a sub 30lb XC bike with those tires or just ride what you got.

or

Im riding schwalbe fat alberts in the 2.4 size and like them. run them tubeless and you will save a good 3/4 of a pound off your current set up.

·
meow meow
10,622 Posts
qkenuf4u said:
can ya post a link to these tires ?????? couldnt find anything with google on them....
oops, my bad. i cant spell. irc mibro. i know they have them at pricepoint.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The Nevegal 2.35s are huge and a bit slow... Unless you really feel you're using the grip, I'd say go with a 2.1 DTC Nevegal on the rear, it's still grippy but makes a huge difference. It's still not light but it's lighter and faster.

In fact, the 2.1 stick-e front is a good tyre for what you describe too, mine have got me safely down a world cup dh course so they don't lack grip or toughness ;) They're still bigger than some competitor's 2.3s.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts