Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
I live to bike
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the weight of tires can vary, but Maxxis needs do a bit better at consistency. I bought a set of Maxxis 29er Ignitors. One weighed 585 grams, very good, only 10 grams over claimed weight. The other weighs 710 grams! That's 125 grams more! or 135 over claimed! That is almost 25% over claimed weight. That is preposterous. I was planning to have the Maxxis tires as my lightweight tires, but now one of them hardly weighs less than the WTB Exiwolves I bought.

BTW, the Exiwolves weighed 740 and 750 grams, so at least those two were consistent in weight -- too few to tell if WTB is really that consistent, but these two were good--AND they are well under the claimed weight of 825 grams.

Manufacturers should be smart and make the claimed weight at the higher end of the likely spectrum of weights, rather than the lower. The lower sounds good, may make people want to buy, but then when their actual product weighs a lot more, they are disgruntled. Whereas, when it weighs less than claimed, you think you found a really good one.

Anyway, not really mad at Maxxis, just kind of annoyed that one of my "lightweight" tires weighs as much as my big tires. I was hoping to save more weight, particularly rotational mass.

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
I am also amazed at the variability between specific tires.

I noticed this more with seemingly out of balanceness.

I am not surpised to see an overall weight difeerence as well.

Also it seemed the lighter the tire the more the differences.

Perhaps this is becasue there is just not as much meat to cover-up the inconsistancies.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Jwiffle said:
...Manufacturers should be smart and make the claimed weight at the higher end of the likely spectrum of weights, rather than the lower. The lower sounds good, may make people want to buy, but then when their actual product weighs a lot more, they are disgruntled. Whereas, when it weighs less than claimed, you think you found a really good one...
Kenda use to do this and it hurt them in the market. People would not buy some models at all because of the "high" weight so they could not be trilled theirs is lighter (and most were lighter).
They now give a weight range.

·
I live to bike
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah, a range is a good idea.
+/- 50 grams on a tire isn't bad, but i just think 135 grams over claimed is too much!

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
Since most people don't weigh their tires once they buy them, it doesn't really matter. They buy tires thinking they will be whatever the claimed weight is. It sells if it says it's light on the package.

I have a pair of Maxxis High Rollers UST 2.3 and they were claimed at 740 grams but are well over 900 grams in real life. They came with a bike so I don't mind that much but yeah, Maxxis are terrible with their weight claims, they shouldn't say anything at all at that point!

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Dan Gerous said:
Since most people don't weigh their tires once they buy them, it doesn't really matter. They buy tires thinking they will be whatever the claimed weight is. It sells if it says it's light on the package...
Very good point.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts