Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
7,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rear tire wears out faster than my front. I've thought about swapping them to extend the life. Is this something others do or should I quite trying to be a cheap bastard and just run as is until the rear wears out and then buy a new one.

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
Phillbo said:
My rear tire wears out faster than my front. I've thought about swapping them to extend the life. Is this something others do or should I quite trying to be a cheap bastard and just run as is until the rear wears out and then buy a new one.
The wear is usually caused by climbing. Do like I do, and just walk up the hills. (At least that is the excuse I usually give when I walk. "Sorry guys, trying to save my rear tire.")

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,181 Posts
You don't have to put on two new tires at a time so I'm not sure what the fuss is about. Instead of switching, just replace the rear when it's done - less work and less $$ spent when you go to buy a new tire if you only have to buy one at a time. I generally go thru about two rear tires for every front tire. I also always figured the rapid wear on the rear tire was due to climbing - more weight and abuse on the back tire when grinding up our rocky hills.

·
livin' the dream......
1,969 Posts
Curious how many miles people are getting out of thier tires? I have about 400 miles on the tires I run now (Panaracer XC Fire Pro's) and have had them on for a year. About 98% of the miles were put on riding our trails around the Valley.

Is this low, high or average miles to get from tires?

·
Banned
226 Posts
If the tread is worn directionally, then just flip the tire. Some people are so slow that it really doesn't matter anyway. If it's a training tire then it really doesn't matter. If you're racing, then you probably wouldn't want to rotate a worn tire anyway. Be a cheap bastard!!! Get as much out of those industry overpriced tires as you can.

I bet 95% of riders wouldn't know if you put a directional tire backwards if they didn't notice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
rotate your tires

Same thing happens to my tires. I 'rotate' the rear to front and keep riding until both tires are bald (using Continental Verticals on front/rear). I'm pretty good about NOT locking up the rear tire (that tears up the trail). I think the reason the rear wears faster is because most of my weight is on the rear tire. And while climbing my rear tire DOES slip a lot more than my front tire.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.