Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Negative Rep Points!!!!
4,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brand new tire that I got from Larry, has developed this weird wart-like growth.

It looks like something that one might find on the end of FoShitzzle's nose.

Please advise.

Attachments

·
Elitest thrill junkie
37,916 Posts
Ahh..I love rocks.

Rocks out here made it impossible for me to use "large volume/light casing" tires. Now I use "large volume heavy casing" tires. I got tired of slashing the rear tire all the time.

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
Man, right next to a ding on the rim.

What are the chances of that happening? Talk about coincidence.

Lance it. It my be a bott fly larvae

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
SportDerek said:
Go Tubeless.

Went UST a year ago and haven't looked back.
after viewing the picture above - if he had gone tubeless he would have also been walking with no air in the tire!

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts
Must be a manufacturing defect

We know you really baby your bikes, aqua!

·
Banned
20,161 Posts
Jayem said:
Ahh..I love rocks.

Rocks out here made it impossible for me to use "large volume/light casing" tires. Now I use "large volume heavy casing" tires. I got tired of slashing the rear tire all the time.
Jim,

what are some of your favorite LG/Vol::HvyCased tyres?

I'm thinking of getting some.

Thanx,
Walt

·
carpe mañana
7,297 Posts
Get some snakeskin Schwalbes. My sidewalls have been doing great.

_MK

·
Powered by ice cream.
6,356 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
I did the same thing to a Maxxis tire. Rode with it like that for a hour. Put the bike on the rack where it was in the sun. With in five minutes the tube blew.

Chris

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
Enel said:
Where did you learn about those? I just took one out of a guy. Very freaky. He had vacationed in the Amazon 4 weeks prior.

For those that don't know of these, photos and video here:

http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/352/23/e21
\

I used to go down to costa rica a lot.

One day my friend noticed a lump. He didn't even know he was pregnant.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
We have bott flies in Alaska too. They only lay their eggs on the caribou afaik. They get to looking like daleks with all those lumps. Gross.

·
... I guess you won't be
1,973 Posts
I am using a Geax Sturdy 2.1 in the back, and also got an almost identical tear in a brand new tire....but, I fished out some of those old-school circular vulcanizing glue patches and put one on the inside and outside of the tires w/ lotsa glue inbetween. I have ridden this tire that way for about 3 months with absolutely no issues [and it works great in freezing temps too!], other than it bulges out a few mm where the patches are.....it's worth a shot!

·
Elitest thrill junkie
37,916 Posts
Wasatch Walt said:
Jim,

what are some of your favorite LG/Vol::HvyCased tyres?

I'm thinking of getting some.

Thanx,
Walt
Right now, the standard 2.5" weirwolfs. I also use the 2.3 version alot, although NOT the "K" version, that's the one to stay away from. The lightweight versions of these tires are the ones that I've had trouble with. I'd rather eat up all the tread before the sidewalls give out in any way, but the opposite is what I was having happen. The kenda tires are ok, but on almost all of the ones I've seen and tried, the casing was "warped" and would not seat reasonably straight on a rim. For the varied conditions that we ride in (one day could be sticky soft dirt, the next time we ride could be sand, and the next time could be sloppy mud) I like the wierwolf tread pattern. I don't really have much of a want to go to something else, but I've been through many other WTB tires, motos, enduros, mutanos, specialized tires in the 2.2-2.3" range, and many others. In each case where the tire was a fairly lightweight 2.2-2.4" tire, I ripped the sidewalls before wearing out the tread. I got sick of this and I just won't go back now. I've also had plenty of other sizes and kinds of tires, but specifically the lightweight large-volume ones seem to be major culprits due to needing a thin sidewall to remain at a "competative" weight.

Tires are an exception to the "you can have two of the following; lightweight, strong, inexpensive". No matter what, you can't get a real strong/durable lightweight tire.

South Mountain is hell on tires, but I ride in a lot of other rocky places too.

In this line of thinking (normal casing for the size of the tire), I am sure there are a lot more choices than just the weirwolfs. I like how they handle, but there's a lot more out there. I'm just sick of the large volume light tires.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts