Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I hang my CX bike by a hook on the wall in my (very hot) garage. The front tire (Schwalve G One 38mm, tubeless on an Arch EX rim) went flat and I left it up there like that for a few weeks. When I went to reinflate, the tire blew off the rim at 30 psi. I tested it a few times by rotating the tire on the rim and the tire blows off the rim in the same spot on the tire every time. I think the tire is blowing off in the same spot where it was compressed against the wall with the hook. I took the tire off and replaced it with a 35mm Gravelking SK, which is holding just fine now.

I had a flat on the rear tire- 32mm Gravelkings SK, that also sat with a flat leaned I to the wall for a week or two. (I usually only ride this CX bike on roads and bike paths when the trails are muddy and the mtb is no fun.) I put a tube in it and pumped it up and now it has a sideways warp in it. I rotated the tire around the rim and the wrap is on the same spot on the tire. It's fully seated all the way around the rim. I think this is also the same spot where the flat tire was compressed against the wall.

Is this common- for a tire to become irreparably warped from going flat and sitting in a compressed state for some time? Can I nurse these tires back to health, I should I make a belt out ofnthem?? Did I overlook something? Both of these tires have plenty of tread and should be good for hundreds more miles.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Tires being flat and compressed won't change the length of the flexible or wire bead. Try to make sure the bead is evenly seated as you start to inflate the tire and move it as necessary. Tires have a witness line just outside the bead so you can check the distance of it from the edge of the rim to ensure the tire is seated properly all away around. If it still blows off, it's a basic incompatibility of the tire with the rim. .

·
Registered
12,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
These tire have both been on the rim for over a year with zero problems. After sitting flat for a week, one blows off the rim and he other has a wobble. They are both perfectly seat 100% all the way around the rim.

·
Cycologist
10,303 Posts
That's weird. When I saw the thread title, I thought "no". You're in Texas if I recall correctly. Just how hot is it in your garage?

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I had a problem with my Compass tire beads permanently stretching. Compass tires are made by Panaracer, which makes Gravelking tires too. Didn't have a blow off problem, but airing up was a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
12,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Holy hell it's hot! Over 100° outside for the past few weeks, so it's probably much hotter inside. I am drenched in sweat after 60 seconds out there.

Edit: I put a thermometer out there is morning and checked it about 6 pm. It is over 110 in the garage at the moment. That's after I insulated the metal door this spring. It was worse before.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I'm in Texas as well. I've been storing my mountain bikes in garages since the 70's. I also store all my new spare tires in folded packaging in the garages. Over the years, there have been bikes sitting on flats as well. I've never had the issue you describe. I guessing, but I'd venture to say that your issue isn't common.

Reactions: mack_turtle

·
Registered
505 Posts
You have a weird problem indeed. If caused by heat, then maybe heat can get it fixed. Try to take it off the bike and sit in the garage for a few days. This Texan heat is not going away anytime soon... :(

·
Registered
12,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Weird, the tires were working just fine for a year, then they sit flat for a few days and they are both suddenly toast. I don't trust the Schwalbe with a tube as it blows off too easily. The rear GK is sitting just fine with a tube at 60psi for now, but with a weird sideways warp.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.