Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this is probably an obvious one. I was washing my (fairly new) bike when I noticed something odd. The tire treads on the wheels go in different directions. i.e the tread on the front wheel faces the other way to the tread on the back.

I'm sure this isn't right but was wondering whether it would make any difference anyway?

Oh, I haven't changed it around or anything, it came like that from the shop.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Not necessarily obvious...

21alpha said:
Ok, this is probably an obvious one. I was washing my (fairly new) bike when I noticed something odd. The tire treads on the wheels go in different directions. i.e the tread on the front wheel faces the other way to the tread on the back.

I'm sure this isn't right but was wondering whether it would make any difference anyway?

Oh, I haven't changed it around or anything, it came like that from the shop.
but some tread designs have the tread facing one way on the front(for steering) and the opposite in the rear (for traction). Mystery solved. Of course if it's a cheap bike from some department store they may have just screwed it up and shame on you from buying from them. ;)

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Some tires have the front tires set up one way, as the main FORCE on them is braking, so the "scoops" are set for maximum braking, whilst the main force of the back tire is propulsion (or accelleration), so the scoops would have to go in the opposite direction.

There is probably an arrow on the side of the tire indicating rolling direction, when that arrow is closest to the ground, it should face the rear of the bike. (If it is a tire for front and back, it might have two different arrows indicating each.)

And shame on nothing... Congrats for getting a bike. Enjoy it, ride it, love it. :)

·
Domestic Fowl
869 Posts
bmateo said:
Some tires have the front tires set up one way, as the main FORCE on them is braking, so the "scoops" are set for maximum braking, whilst the main force of the back tire is propulsion (or accelleration), so the scoops would have to go in the opposite direction.

There is probably an arrow on the side of the tire indicating rolling direction, when that arrow is closest to the ground, it should face the rear of the bike. (If it is a tire for front and back, it might have two different arrows indicating each.)

And shame on nothing... Congrats for getting a bike. Enjoy it, ride it, love it. :)
Exactly what I would have said. :cool:

Many tires are designed in such a way as to give better acceleration in one rotational direction. For the rear tire you want optimum acceleration to drive you forward. For the front tire you want optimum acceleration in the other direction (negative acceleration) for stopping.

In other words, what bmateo said.

;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mystery solved indeed :) Thanks people.

Indeed, it is supposed to be that way... asked the guy that sold it to me, and now the question of why it is that way has also been answered. Also, it is not a chain store bike. But I was starting to wonder about the bike technician that put the thing together :)

Its a SCOTT Yecora.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.