Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Expert Pushing SSer
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past 2.5 years, I have become obsessed with finding the perfect tire (based on my trails, riding style, etc.). I have tried some tires here and there. But, I am sometimes reluctant to march into the LBS and plunk down $60-80 for a new set of tread just to "try them out", find out they are not for me, then go to the hassle of trying to sell them. So, who is interested in doing an informal tire swap? It could work like this:

1) I ship someone a tire or tires, I pay shipping. They use a few times at their local trails, they love them. One of two things happen, I hated them to begin with and they buy them (FMV), or I love them, they send them back, and if they love them they go out and get some.

2) In the meantime, I get some from another MTBR junkie and so on and so forth.

Basically, this is an extension of Shiggy’s tire pile tread head testers. So what do you think? Your opinions, comments, and additions matter. Hope I am not bootlegging any ideas.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Maybe setup a sort of "tire exchange" website where you could keep track of who has what tires and provide visibility to anyone who isn't living up to the expectations (ie returning them on time, paying for ones kept) I'd like to try out tires without having to purchase them up front.

·
Cyclist
493 Posts
interested

I'm interested. I've pretty much settled on some good tires but I enjoy riding different ones and figuring out their strengths and weaknesses. I'll try to put together my list of spare tires and see what we come up with.

·
ali'i hua
1,796 Posts
sounds like a good idea!

do it regionally? heck, you oregon/PNW guys could help shig out with his tyre testing!

hmm. Socal. well, I do know that Donkey is sorta the socal 29er tyre ****, and terminaut has got to have a collection, but who else?

·
Expert Pushing SSer
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, taking some of the ideas from all you all....um, we may be able to coordinate with Shiggy a page or 2 that would be a place to give a shout out....post the tires you have, what you are looking for, ride reports, etc. Could be regional too. There would need to be some $ kick back to Shig for usage of his site. That may be part of the shipping and handling, (not sure how that would be linkable) or anual dues extended to the members. More thoughts and opinnions please. Calling Shiggy the master of tires......

Mike

·
Expert Pushing SSer
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MTBDad said:
10 or so, but this would be interesting!
Me neither. I have let's see:
1 WTB Mutanoraptor 2.24 (75% or better on tread life)
1 WTB Motoraptor 2.24 (95% or better)
2 WTB Velociraptors 1.95 (1 front/1 rear) (>80%) Older version a little better in clayey silts
wetter riding.
1 Panarcer Fire 2.4 FR (>90%)
1 Panaracer Fire XC Pro 2.1 (>90%)

Most of my tires are not worn much. As you can see, I have a paltry contribution. That is what would make something like this fun :D

Mike

·
Registered
504 Posts
Me neither. I have let's see:
1 WTB Mutanoraptor 2.24 (75% or better on tread life)
1 WTB Motoraptor 2.24 (95% or better)
2 WTB Velociraptors 1.95 (1 front/1 rear) (>80%) Older version a little better in clayey silts
wetter riding.
1 Panarcer Fire 2.4 FR (>90%)
1 Panaracer Fire XC Pro 2.1 (>90%)

Most of my tires are not worn much. As you can see, I have a paltry contribution. That is what would make something like this fun :D

I would be able to make available:

2 Panaracer Fire XC 1.85 - 85%
1 Continental Cross Country 1.5 - 95%
1 Nokian NX 2.1 - 90%
1 Schwalbe Big Jim - 90%
1 Schwalbe Fat Albert UST - 90%
1 Schwalbe Albert 2.25 - 95%
1 Kenda Blue Groove 2.5 -95%

·
Registered
218 Posts
Southeast...

I'd love to see something like this happen. It sucks dropping over 40 bones on crappy tire. I don't have much to offer, only about 8 tires or so. CK

ps - Is there anyone in the states that sells Schwalbe tires??? (google.com couldn't find me anyone)

·
Expert Pushing SSer
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
SlowSSer said:
did you ever get "the tire pile" pic up?
SlowSSer-
Hey! Hijack, whatcha doing? Just met my contractor. Ugh. Anyway, have a nice weekend.

cavitykilla said:
ps - Is there anyone in the states that sells Schwalbe tires??? (google.com couldn't find me anyone)
CK-
Check with Scwalbe direct on line and fill that cart ;) ....that is what I thought I read on another post somewhere. Our LBS can get them through some catalog (not QBP). So check with your LBS and their vas catalog selection.

shiggy said:
I may be able to do something. I need to get my database in place to make it viable.
Shiggy-
What sort of database? Can some the information be made available to participants of this scheme via an excel file that can go back and forth and updated, sort of a dynamic living database with a geographic location column etc. Sounds like fun. Let me know if there is anuything I can do, or just get the he!! out of the sand box ;)

Cheers,

Mike
P.S.-Glad this thread has life

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.