Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for suggestions on a good tire for the GSO area. Most of the trails here are pretty hard packed with some pretty good climbs (IMHO). I never ride when the trails are muddy.

I ride a 26" and I am not a professional rider; just casual/intermediate at best.

Typically I have been riding Kenda Nevegals. 2.35 in front and a 2.1 rear.

Have been thinking about trying Kenda's Small Block 8's though.

Thanks in advance!

·
Chilling out
6,037 Posts
Back in the day when I rode 26er I liked the durability of the Kenda but not the high rolling resistance of the Nevegals. The SB8 was MUCH better in that way and I've used in both front and rear in the past, along with the Slant 6.

If your habits are towards mellow trail behavior (e.g. not #enduro) it's hard to be the rolling efficiency of the Maxxis Crossmark, in the past I've it for a rear coupled with an Ikon on the front. I tended to use the wider 2.35" tires as I liked having the extra volume and traction they represented, your frame and fork may or may not have the room for them though. {shrug}

These days for a general purpose rolling friendly tire I really like the Rekon, but I haven't tried them in the smaller sized wheels so I don't know if they carry over there as well as they do on both 27.5 and 29 inch wheels. Very good durability and good traction with pretty good rolling behavior too. I have them on my hard-tail "gravel friendly" bike, FWIW.

Disclaimer: Never ridden in GSO, look to but haven't, but I've ridden a BUNCH of other places across the nation and significantly in both Charlotte and Raleigh areas.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@bear,

thanks for the information! Eventually I will certainly move away from the 26er that I have and move on to a 29er. 26" stuff is fading away it seems so eventually I will turn this bike into a commuter or something.

I will check out the Crossmark. I can use the 2.35 you mentioned. Typically I use a 2.35 on the front and a 2.1 rear.

The trails in GSO are pretty similar in terrain as Charlotte and Raleigh. If you do come the GSO to ride, check out Wild Turkey and Blue Heron. Nice trails. :)

Thanks again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.