Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'd like to ask for your suggestions. I have XC mtb that I use mainly for

70% road (paved, street, urban biking)
20% gravel trail
10% mtb trail

I know having different kinds of wheelset is a good option but I tend to stick for a pair for now that kinda "do it all". Please note that I need to pedal probably 20km of pavement to reach gravel and mtb trail in my place.

Also, I want to go tubeless and higher PSI tire is more welcome.

Thanks

·
Registered
14,874 Posts
Also, I want to go tubeless and higher PSI tire is more welcome.

Thanks

Higher psi doesn't produce the benefits most people once thought, Running lower pressure is often faster, even on pavement.

Anything is going to be a compromise but I'd probably use some variety of xc tire in about a 2.2 width.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any suggestion in particular?

Last year I use schwalbe racing ralph, not good in pavement and in gravel, it tends to pick up small rocks and throw to my bike frame.

·
Registered
Ibis Ripley V4
459 Posts
Maybe the Maxxis Rekon Race?

What wheelset is this going on?

When you "trail", what trail conditions are we talking about and how aggressive do you want to ride them?

Is speed on the road important to you?

Something like the Continental "Terra" line might be good.

That 10% trail is a complication and something has to give. If you get something better for trail riding, your road riding that you'll be riding most of the time will suffer. If you get something better for the road, your trail riding will suffer...

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Any of the low tread XC race tires would work well. Rekon race, Furious Fred, Aspen, ect...

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
given the road and gravel bias-Surly ExtraTerrestrial if it fits your wheels/frame.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe the Maxxis Rekon Race?

When you "trail", what trail conditions are we talking about and how aggressive do you want to ride them?
The trail in my area have level 1 -5. 5 is DH trail.

I'd probably just go for level 1 and 2, flowy and/or easy to normal xc trail.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Speed on the road is important for me .. of course, I don't expect it to be fast like road bikes but being faster than normal is my preference.

My mtb have stock tires of WTB trail boss 2.25 , it's so soft that I thought Im running flat on pavement when I spin around yesterday. Lolz. That's why I need to change it asap. hehe.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a hard tail w/ Maxxis Ikon 2.35 on front and Aspen 2.25 on back and run them at 18/19 psi on road, gravel and trail. Surprisingly to me at first, they roll fast. I don’t give up too much to gravel bikes on road and super comfortable on rougher dirt roads. My two cents.

·
Registered
96 Posts
WTB Nano 2.1 or Maxxis Ardent Race 2.2 MaxSpeed. I think the Nano is faster rolling but the Ardent Race provides better traction all around. 25# 29er HT, I ride it on the road, greenbelts, dirt canals, and trails.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Actually I'm browsing their website now.

Brazo + Mezcal seem like a good combo

For maxxis, Im thinking Ikon series?
I’d say way too aggressive for the intended usage. Maybe mezcal front and back. Or possibly mezcal front with Terreno dry rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
296 Posts
you didn't mention what wheel size, but if you are either 26" or 29" I'd seriously consider rene herse tires. 29″ x 2.2″ (700C x 55) Fleecer Ridge TC Tire – Rene Herse Cycles for example. I have a set of 650b x 48mm on my gravel bike, and they are awesome. Given your mix I think they would be perfect.
I'd second looking at RH tires but if your expected trail is really only 10%, I'd go with their slicks over knobs (or slick rear, knobs front which I did with my gravel bike which sees 20-30% trail).

·
Registered
564 Posts
My rides are about 70-75% pavement and the rest gravel/dirt trails and I run a set of off-pavement touring tires, Schwalbe Marathon Mondials:
I run them tubeless and they do quite well. At 700x40c, I run them around 30psi all the time, maybe drop a few psi if I need more grip in the dirt or up a few psi for longer paved rides. They last a long time, getting ~9000mi/15000km out of them over 6 years of riding:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts