Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over 200lb racers running 2.35 vs 2.5 ??? Smaller tire offers lower rolling resistance...bigger tire has larger footprint creating better traction and smoother at low pressure over small bumps. Is a bigger tire faster and better control for bigger rider? Let's hear your thoughts...Pro's & Con's. Thanks feller's.
 

·
Glad to Be Alive
Joined
·
43,010 Posts
VooDoo13 said:
Over 200lb racers running 2.35 vs 2.5 ??? Smaller tire offers lower rolling resistance...bigger tire has larger footprint creating better traction and smoother at low pressure over small bumps. Is a bigger tire faster and better control for bigger rider? Let's hear your thoughts...Pro's & Con's. Thanks feller's.
I weigh 210 with armour and back pack about 220-225lbs. I run michelin 2.8's front and back. When racing I go to highRollers 2.5. I can feel them slipping a lot though.

Bottom Line: Race with smaller tires but keep the big tires for every day riding.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
I weigh 210 with armour and back pack about 220-225lbs. I run michelin 2.8's front and back. When racing I go to highRollers 2.5. I can feel them slipping a lot though.

Bottom Line: Race with smaller tires but keep the big tires for every day riding.
Thats what I was thinking...at least a 2.5 for me (at 200lbs - no gear) for race. I'm actually glad you replied cause I got a question about running UST and I know you swear by 'em. Wouldn't a tubeless set up be more vulnerable on rockier courses (to cut for example) which would make fixing a flat with a tube easier? On the other hand not having a tube saves weight to allow for a dual ply (which is less likely to get cut)...this is my dilemma. To tube or not to tube. lol Thanks bro
p.s. Can you notice a significant difference between Super Tacky and Slow Reezay?
- JJ
 

·
Chillin the Most
Joined
·
4,025 Posts
VooDoo13 said:
Thats what I was thinking...at least a 2.5 for me (at 200lbs - no gear) for race. I'm actually glad you replied cause I got a question about running UST and I know you swear by 'em. Wouldn't a tubeless set up be more vulnerable on rockier courses (to cut for example) which would make fixing a flat with a tube easier? On the other hand not having a tube saves weight to allow for a dual ply (which is less likely to get cut)...this is my dilemma. To tube or not to tube. lol Thanks bro
p.s. Can you notice a significant difference between Super Tacky and Slow Reezay?
- JJ
FYI, Maxxis 2.5 tire = @ 2.35. ;)
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top