Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, I have been riding 26" MTBs for years. I have always run a larger front tire. not sure why - everyone else was doing it. So what are the real pros and cons?

I just went from a Specialized adrenaline 2.2 front (measures 2.4) to a Purgatory 2.4. All I can say is Wow! Front cornering/braking traction is unbelievable. Now my Eskar 2.3 rear seems pretty weak in comparison.

So should I go with a 2.4 in the rear as well or should I go with a 2.2? Weight difference is only 45 grams between the two sizes.

I know you may or may not like the Purgatory or specialized, but my question here is mainly around should I run a 2.4 rear if I can fit it? and what are the pros of running a smaller rear tire?

Thanks...

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Its due to the fact that maintaining traction on the front wheel is more critical than the rear, the DH and AM crowd have been doing it for a long time too.
The XC guys tend to go for same size F&R so they keep the front end lower for climbing, and to maintain the aggressive geometry. I tried a 2.4 Nobby Nic on the F of the 575 just recently and had a blast, as the bike cornered so much better. Mad the front end a lot higher so climbing sucked (and there were a lot of steep climbs on that ride too!)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts