Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

What is your current setup

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
What would make this poll more interesting would be to see what people have tried before settling on what they are running now. In my case, I tried it all and did a complete 360 by reverting to tubes.

_MK

·
ಠ_ಠ
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MK_ said:
What would make this poll more interesting would be to see what people have tried before settling on what they are running now. In my case, I tried it all and did a complete 360 by reverting to tubes.

_MK
Good info, but unfortunately, detailed responses like yours are best posted anyway.

·
ಠ_ಠ
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
retox said:
Should "tubeless ready" tires/UST Bead with standard casing also be included? I've been very happy with the Bontrager TR's and sealant.
Good point. Please give a thorough review on them. They look interesting and I almost bought a pair on eBay, but the tube version got such a horrible write up in MBA, I didn't.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
dulyebr said:
Tire Setup Poll
I thought this might be a pole of which model of tires people were running front and rear.

I'm running Spider up front, Python in back in dry Colorado. I may switch to Spec Adrenaline Pro based on comments here. Staying UST on Crossmax XL UST rims with stans for insurance - zero flats in 2005.

·
thats right living legend
6,360 Posts
I'd like.

What about a poll on who runs larger tires up front smaller tire rear or vice versa. Anyway right now I'm running Maxxis Advantage 2.1 RR and Kenda Nev 2.1 F. But only cause my Kenda BG 2.35 F got the side nobs ripped off. Plan too go with the Nev 2.35 F as soon as I get around to the LBS. I HIGHLY recomend the Advantage in back,. rolls great and hooks up like the devil.... Wears quik though.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
I've been a "standard rim - standard tire and tube" guy my whole life. I have no intentions of converting, or even trying as i've never had a problem and like the light weight and possible convenience if/when a flat occurs. I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with tubeless/UST - I just have no intentions of trying it. (just posting my details)

GREAT poll idea, btw!

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
I run a WTB Timberwolf 2.5 front with light DH tube & a Maxxis HighRoller 2.35 rear with heavy duty DH tube .
Personally i prefer schrader valve tubes since i am old school. Working with motorcycles makes it a normal for me. I am not ready to go tubless for MTB because if it blows you are putting a tube in. If you run something like Stans no tubes & it blows you must clean the inside of the tire & rim to install a tube. If you get a blowout on a schrader valve & used your spare, someone comes by with a presta tube it will fit. The next thing you need to take into considerstion is having a pump as well as Co2's, unless you cary a pump at all times. I'm lazy & like the Co2.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Mavic 517 with standard tubes and tires - i may be giving Stans/Eclipse a try soon.
Training setup
Front: Conti Explorer Pro 2.1" Salsa superlight tube
Rear: Panaracer Fire XC 2.1" Salsa superlight tube
Race day - wet
Front: Conti Explorer SuperSonic 2.1" Maxxis flyweight tube
Rear: Nokian NBX lite 2.0" Maxxis flyweight tube
Race day - loose
Rear: Kenda Karma DTC 2.0" Maxxis flyweight tube
Race day - dry
Rear: Hutchinson Python airlight 2.0" Maxxis flyweight tube

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
blackagness said:
What about a poll on who runs larger tires up front smaller tire rear or vice versa. Anyway right now I'm running Maxxis Advantage 2.1 RR and Kenda Nev 2.1 F. But only cause my Kenda BG 2.35 F got the side nobs ripped off. Plan too go with the Nev 2.35 F as soon as I get around to the LBS. I HIGHLY recomend the Advantage in back,. rolls great and hooks up like the devil.... Wears quik though.
My thinking lately is on my FSR the width/volume of the tires doesn't matter as much as the amount and type of grip (braking and side bite on the front, braking and climbing traction on the rear).

For over a year, I've had an NBX 2.3 on the front of my XC/trail bike, and it works so well in most conditions, I've just changed the rear tire to suit the conditions as needed.

On my HT playbike, I run a BG or Nev 2.5 front, but since the rear tire is the rear suspension, I currently have an Arrow 2.75x24 on the rear, and at ~20psi it has a fair bit of give, and hooks up well even in the snow.

·
Registered
36 Posts
MK_ said:

_MK
I started out with standard tires and then moved on to tubeless.

I have used, in chronological order,WTB velociraptors, IRC's (back country I think), Panaracer Fire XC, WTB weirwolf.

Tubless tires:

I moved on to tubless using Hutchinson Scorpions (hated them), Specialized Enduro Pros (they sucked, but not as bad as the scorpions) and finally Cont. Vertical Pros - I am running tubless in the rear and tubed in the front as this rim is non-UST. The Vertical Pros are the best so far so I stuck with them. They are grippy as hell and well suited for the rocky, rooty, muddy and snowy northeast terrain.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
crashtoomuch said:
I thought this might be a pole of which model of tires people were running front and rear.

I'm running Spider up front, Python in back in dry Colorado. I may switch to Spec Adrenaline Pro based on comments here. Staying UST on Crossmax XL UST rims with stans for insurance - zero flats in 2005.
I think the first response turned it into a question on questions. What do you think if/on/or

·
Weapon of Choice
801 Posts
The best MTBR tire for Technical rooty rocky trails

deathonwheels said:
I started out with standard tires and then moved on to tubeless.

I have used, in chronological order,WTB velociraptors, IRC's (back country I think), Panaracer Fire XC, WTB weirwolf.

Tubless tires:

I moved on to tubless using Hutchinson Scorpions (hated them), Specialized Enduro Pros (they sucked, but not as bad as the scorpions) and finally Cont. Vertical Pros - I am running tubless in the rear and tubed in the front as this rim is non-UST. The Vertical Pros are the best so far so I stuck with them. They are grippy as hell and well suited for the rocky, rooty, muddy and snowy northeast terrain.
These tires I've heard alot of and Im looking for a MTBR tire that corners as good as can be over loose rocky terrain, roots, rock uphill and all that. I had stock fastrack specialized tires to start and after nearly dieing on a trail I ditched these for the Enduro Pro which is alot better than the Fastrack but corners very bad. Ok on uphill traction but that about it. The extra volume is nice though too. I was thinking about Panaracer Cinder tires at 2.3 width, a bit heavy for my stumpjumper but I'll take the added grams if it means saving my neck. The Continental vertical pro was my next choice, can you give me advice , your thoughts? Soo many tires to choose and its gonna be expensive choice, dont need more regret buying crappy tire. Thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.