Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for the best tires for this condition:

The trails I race are almost always dry and almost always chewed up from pre-riding and earlier categories. They end up being very loose in the corners. I'm looking at buying a tubeless ready wheelset or converting my current wheels to tubeless as well, but am not looking to pay the weight penalty for UST tires. What would you guys suggest?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Velociraptor

http://www.biketiresdirect.com/pwtvrk/wtb_velociraptor_folding/pp.htm

Tires are tires. Whether its on a 4x4 jeep or a bike tire. Some will call me crazy because it's two totally different applications but I know paddle tires on Jeeps, trucks, buggies, etc., they are hard to beat a paddle type grip on exactly what you are showing and describing.

A very experienced rider I work with trains for road races on his mountain bike and not many can hang with him on road climbs because of the endurance he has built up from XC trail riding. He uses this tire for similar conditions and I plan on getting some myself soon. Loose gravel and chunk rock on hard pack trails that can get slick when wet. Add in loose powder sand like you are showing and a paddle tire is just what the "tire doctor" ordered.

My coworker swears these are excellent tires and everyone in the local bike club uses them.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I would think that tire pressure (ie. lower pressure) is more important in these conditions than tire selection. Maybe a wider tire would "float" over the loose dirt a bit better than a narrow tire.

How about a Specialized Captain Control 2.2? Or maybe a Stan's NoTubes The Raven 2.2?

http://www.notubes.com/product_info.php/cPath/42_45/products_id/438

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
tires are very personal... i have never ridden the velociraptor, but it sure does not look very fast... and they are VERY heavy by racing standards. you mention you did not want the weight penalty. (but others might know the tire better).

for sandy conditions i prefer a wider tire, with much smaller tread. obviously if you are racing you want the tires to also be fast rolling. many people love the race kings 2.2, seem to be good at most conditions and fast, great traction. you may want to check out something like that. raven 2.2 would probably be a good option as well.

good luck.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
floorguy724 said:
I've had pretty good luck with my Kenda small block 8's on loose/hardpack. But then again, I've only ridden them on a 29er and not a 26".:madman:
I like them on the rear but not on the front on both 26 and 29. Kenda specifies that this is a hardpack tire only. I find that it works well in loose over hardpack on the rear but washes out on the front. Just my .02cents.

·
In the rear with the beer
1,314 Posts
Wide. I ride in AZ which has a lot of sand. When I went from 2.1 to 2.35's it made all the difference. Float over rather than dig in. For racing maybe come 2.3 crossmarks (that's actually what I run on my front now for desert riding....velociraptor on the back,) Disclaimer: I'm not an expert and am nowhere near competitive in races, but that's not due to my bike or tires, at least not primarily.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Try the Maxxis Crossmark or Michelin XCR Dry. They both have wider spaced lugs which should give you more bite. Something in a 2.1 @ 27psi for tubeless and 31 psi for tubed. But really...........adjust your riding position. You're not supposed to descend in the saddle! Tires wont save you.

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
Schwalbe Nobby Nic's would do well in those conditions. I'd suggest 2.4's. Something cheaper? Get a Panaracer or IRC tire in a similar size.

G

·
Registered
8,198 Posts
A 2.3 Maxxiss tubeless Ignitor would be a good tire for you in those conditions. Grips well, rolls way better then it look like it should and in a 2.3 tubeless will be strong enough.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I like my Maxxis Monorail in the type of terrain in your pictures. I definitely don't like my Hutchinson Python on the front for that type of terrain b/c it gets squirrely on me. (rear is ok for Python in that terrain). I'm running 2.1s. Sounds like I should consider wider tire in that type of terrain.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.