Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In thirty five years of wrenching I have never had this problem. I just purchased a used bike with Bontrager Rythm wheels, NoTubes and Crossmark 29 x 2.10 tires. The tire had become unseated from the rim strip. I could not get it to seal. I finally got frustrated enough that I just mounted a tube in there. The problem now is the tire bead seems to be seated too low in one spot resulting in a wheel that rolls about 10mm out of round. I have tried manually forcing the bead into place, pumping it up to 65psi, and other methods to try to get it in the proper place. Should I dissasemble and talc it up? Soap the edges? any other suggestions?

·
Pit Bull lover
72 Posts
I had the same exact problem with the duster rim, which I believe is the same rim used on your wheelset. Whenever I put a tire on it, I had to pump it up to about 85ish psi to set the bead. There was a loud pop when the bead set, so no guesswork. Let some air out and you are good to go. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
rubbertoes said:
In thirty five years of wrenching I have never had this problem. I just purchased a used bike with Bontrager Rythm wheels, NoTubes and Crossmark 29 x 2.10 tires. The tire had become unseated from the rim strip. I could not get it to seal. I finally got frustrated enough that I just mounted a tube in there. The problem now is the tire bead seems to be seated too low in one spot resulting in a wheel that rolls about 10mm out of round. I have tried manually forcing the bead into place, pumping it up to 65psi, and other methods to try to get it in the proper place. Should I dissasemble and talc it up? Soap the edges? any other suggestions?
Yes, soap up the beads.

·
Registered
772 Posts
This seams to be the case with all of the Bontrager rims I've had in the shop as of late. All of our problems occur using Bontrager tires. It's a bit of a bother, but soap does the trick. I would love to see this problem solved by Bontrager in the near future.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.