Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

So lately I have been wondering the effect of cold to tire sealant and its ability to seal anything. Currently I'm running Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pro performance tires with wire beads (non-folding). I had issues getting them to run tubeless, but currently they're working okay-ish. The front tire is nearly perfect and doesn't lose air pretty much at all if ridden regularly. However, if there's a break longer than a day or two it slowly starts losing air and maybe after a week it has lost like 0.5 bar (~7 psi) max. I figured this could be caused by the sealant collecting on the bottom when the tire hasn't been spun recently. The rear tire is still pretty fresh in tubeless but it's slowly starting to hold air better too.

What I have noticed with these winter tires but also actual tubeless ready -tires is that when it gets below zero the sealant gets a lot less effective. Especially at very low temperatures -20 C (-4 F) downwards I had the front tire lose air really fast. Is this just because the sealant freezes or gets stiff? I've used Stan's and Continental Revo sealants. I never had this kind of issues when running tubes which made me wonder if tubes could be the better option for extreme cold weather riding? Not that I get lots of riding done in those temperatures (if we had them, it has been freaking raining lots in Finland in December, hardly ever happens where I live. Must be the global warming lol :rolleyes:).

-allu

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,996 Posts
IDK, I mix RV antifreeze, slime (the automobile version, slime also has anti-freeze), latex mold builder and water in almost equal parts, the water gets between 1 and 2 parts to the rest, but it should end up being close to 50/50 or so with the anti-freeze. Seems to work good over the last couple years. Sealant is too simple to make to spend money on name brands.

·
Chris Bling
2,585 Posts
Orange seal makes a sub zero mix. I have it it my tires now and seems to work. No freezing and everything is staying sealed

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,996 Posts
Orange seal makes a sub zero mix. I have it it my tires now and seems to work. No freezing and everything is staying sealed

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
Would be hard to test though, once your tires have sealed the bead, you could drain the remaining sealant and they'd run fine for a long time. I imagine the real test would be to ride in -15° and get a serious puncture and see if they seal up. Not that I want to do that!

·
Registered
56 Posts
IDK, I mix RV antifreeze, slime (the automobile version, slime also has anti-freeze), latex mold builder and water in almost equal parts, the water gets between 1 and 2 parts to the rest, but it should end up being close to 50/50 or so with the anti-freeze. Seems to work good over the last couple years. Sealant is too simple to make to spend money on name brands.
How has this been working for you?

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Would be hard to test though, once your tires have sealed the bead, you could drain the remaining sealant and they'd run fine for a long time. I imagine the real test would be to ride in -15° and get a serious puncture and see if they seal up. Not that I want to do that!
The sealant manufacturer simply lowers the Tg (glass transition temp) of the polymer either with a different polymer or a plasticizer additive. No issues as long as you design for it like apparently Orange Seal has.

Have FUN!

G MAN

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
ammonia

Back around the turn of the century (before Stan's) we used to add a little bit of ammonia to our latex to keep it from freezing ...along with wood shavings, glitter and all manner of weird things to improve clotting.

I'll never forget the extreme disappointment of driving 90 minutes to check out a new bike company (long since out of business) and having their main mechanic not only tell me that ghetto tubeless was the stupidest thing he had ever heard of (it was life-changing for me at the time) ... but that EVERYTHING freezes at 32F ...not just water at a specific pressure ...everything known to man ...therefore adding ammonia would have ZERO impact on my already worthless practice of tubelessness. I did not buy a bike that day.

·
This place needs an enema
15,870 Posts
Currently I'm running Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pro performance tires with wire beads (non-folding).

These tires are excellent performers on ice (I have a pair for my commuter) but were not designed nor intended to be run tubeless.

The source of your leak-down issues isn't so much sealant related as tire/rim interface related.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts