Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I ride a 07 Stumpy HT with DT Swiss 24mm rims and Specialized Fast Trak 2.00 tires.

My question is if I run Kenda Nevegal 2.1 tires on it will the profile be too round or should I be fine? I understand psi has a lot to do with it. My rims aren't as thin as some XC rims, but I'm curious.

Thanks

Andy

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
worrptangl said:
Ok I ride a 07 Stumpy HT with DT Swiss 24mm rims and Specialized Fast Trak 2.00 tires.

My question is if I run Kenda Nevegal 2.1 tires on it will the profile be too round or should I be fine? I understand psi has a lot to do with it. My rims aren't as thin as some XC rims, but I'm curious.

Thanks

Andy
No problem. They are about the same actual size. In general, wider rims are better with Nevegals, especially the 2.35/2.50

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I was on mtbtires.com, and Im confused. i posted in the Socal forum asking about tire sizing. I dont understand why tire sizing is different.

Your site has the stated size then the ERTO size. What's that? I'm wondering cause I want to know what size tires will fit my HT. Especially between brands.

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
worrptangl said:
So I was on mtbtires.com, and Im confused. i posted in the Socal forum asking about tire sizing. I dont understand why tire sizing is different.

Your site has the stated size then the ERTO size. What's that? I'm wondering cause I want to know what size tires will fit my HT. Especially between brands.
Take a look at the How we Measure page. And this entry discusses the problems with sizing including ERTO (ISO).

By using the tread width, widest point and outside radius specs you can estimate whether a tire would fit in your bike. Tends to work better if you can find your current tire's specs on the charts and compare them to the tires you are interested in using.

I need to finish my how-to piece for figuring tire clearance...

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok so here is my specs.

DT Swiss Rims x430
559x17 ERD 545mm

Specialized Pro Fast Trak LK 2.00
51-559

On the rims what does that mean, and how does that correspond with the tires?

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
worrptangl said:
Ok so here is my specs.

DT Swiss Rims x430
559x17 ERD 545mm

Specialized Pro Fast Trak LK 2.00
51-559

On the rims what does that mean, and how does that correspond with the tires?
559 is the bead seat diameter of the rim and tire. They must match.

17 is the inside width of the rim.

The ERD is used in wheel building.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok so according to your chart.

The Kenda Nevegal 2.1 have a 54-559

I matched the other numbers across the board and they are quite similar to the tires I'm currently running.

So IS the 17 the rim width.?.?

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
worrptangl said:
Ok so according to your chart.

The Kenda Nevegal 2.1 have a 54-559

I matched the other numbers across the board and they are quite similar to the tires I'm currently running.

So IS the 17 the rim width.?.?
well...
shiggy said:
17 is the inside width of the rim.

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
worrptangl said:
Sorry meant ask is that how they measure the rims from the inside or by some other method
I do not understand the question. In fact, most of your posts seem to be incomplete thoughts and hard to understand.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
"So IS the 17 the rim width.?.?"

Yes, the "inside" width of the rim, measured from bead hook to bead hook.

With that said, Relax! you're WAY over annylzing this! You can use just about any width tire on just about any width rim. A 17mm wide rim can be mounted up with 2.5" tires if you want. Though you're going to change the way the tire contacts the trail from what the designers originally intended by rounding out the profile of the tire. That can affect the tires performance. The key to how big a tire you can run is the bike itself. Clearnace in the frame and fork are the determining factors. Performance change due to rounding on a narrow rim is a consideration, but not so much with most tires. Just depends on the tread design.

Your original question has been answered, the 2.1 Nevegal will work just fine with your rims and will fit in your frame. If you were thinking of going bigger than that then you'd need to do somemore research.

Good Dirt

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Squash said:
"So IS the 17 the rim width.?.?"

Yes, the "inside" width of the rim, measured from bead hook to bead hook.

With that said, Relax! you're WAY over annylzing this! You can use just about any width tire on just about any width rim. A 17mm wide rim can be mounted up with 2.5" tires if you want. Though you're going to change the way the tire contacts the trail from what the designers originally intended by rounding out the profile of the tire. That can affect the tires performance. The key to how big a tire you can run is the bike itself. Clearnace in the frame and fork are the determining factors. Performance change due to rounding on a narrow rim is a consideration, but not so much with most tires. Just depends on the tread design.

Your original question has been answered, the 2.1 Nevegal will work just fine with your rims and will fit in your frame. If you were thinking of going bigger than that then you'd need to do somemore research.

Good Dirt
Sorry just trying to understand what all the numbers mean and such mean.I'm not trying to nuke this out. I'm relatively new to bycycle repair and doing my own work in general so I can be very thorough at times.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok now I'm on my computer not my phone.

Squash I didn't mean to sound like a dumb nub who doesn't know port from starboard.

I understand that the profile will change depending on the rim width. I just wanted to know more, the more I was told. I have just gotten to the stage in which I want to start swapping parts on my bike and fix it myself. So I'm like a compressed sponge when it comes to info. It takes a lot to fill me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts