Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Noob
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am running tubeless tires with Stan's sealant. I currently do not carry with me anything for tire repair should I get a flat on the trail. My distances are getting longer and I am now getting nervous about not having any way to repair a tire. What are you guys carrying with you out on the trail in case you get a flat? Is there a good kit or something that contains everything that one would need? Am I crazy not to have some sort of backup in case I get a flat? To date I have not had a flat on the trail. If I do have to hike, I'm going to be in big trouble because I wear stiff carbon shoes.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Mini pump, tire lever, tire plugs (sometimes puncture is small enough to plug without going through the hassle of changing the tube), and tube (Quality can be hit or miss with new tubes, so I blow them up to test for leaks before deflating and putting it in my pack).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
since 4/10/2009
37,115 Posts
A pump, a pedros lever, bacon strips and a tube.
This is my normal day trip kit, along with one of those little mini bottles of Stan's (which so far I've never needed to use for my own bike, but have given to a riding buddy). And while I've never slashed a sidewall enough that this gear was insufficient, I recognize that such a failure is a possibility so I'm also considering the stuff I might need to sew a sidewall back together well enough that the sealant can seal it back up.

·
Disgruntled Peccary
6,621 Posts
This is my normal day trip kit, along with one of those little mini bottles of Stan's (which so far I've never needed to use for my own bike, but have given to a riding buddy). And while I've never slashed a sidewall enough that this gear was insufficient, I recognize that such a failure is a possibility so I'm also considering the stuff I might need to sew a sidewall back together well enough that the sealant can seal it back up.
Yea, we could toss in some dental floss and a needle.. and you'd be good.

·
Registered
20,187 Posts
Tire plugs and a pump. I have Cush Core inserts so there’s no way in hell that I’d try throwing in a spare tube. At least the Cush Core serves as a sort-of run flat. I’m mentally ready to walk several miles if necessary.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Mini pump, tire lever, tire plugs (sometimes puncture is small enough to plug without going through the hassle of changing the tube), and tube (Quality can be hit or miss with new tubes, so I blow them up to test for leaks before deflating and putting it in my pack).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thats what I carry, (sometimes pump, sometimes CO2 inflator) but I wonder whether the tube is overkill.

So far all I've used is the pump when I was having a sealing issue on my front tire. never had a proper flat on my bike. running tubeless. None of its an issue if I'm running with a pack... but when I want to go light, the tube takes up most of the room.

·
since 4/10/2009
37,115 Posts
Thats what I carry, (sometimes pump, sometimes CO2 inflator) but I wonder whether the tube is overkill.

So far all I've used is the pump when I was having a sealing issue on my front tire. never had a proper flat on my bike. running tubeless. None of its an issue if I'm running with a pack... but when I want to go light, the tube takes up most of the room.
some inserts like cushcore change the calculus on whether a tube is worthwhile. but I view a tube as a sort of last resort repair (I use Huck Norris insert in the rear, which is dead easy to remove, or even just insert a tube along with). Plus, the tube can be pulled into service for some wilderness first aid scenarios.

a few years ago with my fatbike, I had a pretty massive puncture from a root about the size of my thumb. No plug was gonna seal that hole. There was even a bit of rubber missing. But an energy bar wrapper to boot the hole and a tube would have fixed it. As it was, I was less than a mile from the TH, so I walked out rather than wrestling with the repair. I patched the tire with vulcanizing tire patch (more robust than tube patches) at home, and rode that tire for years after.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Sealant, darts, Mountain Morph. Sealant because I have had several punctures that went flat because I'd let it dry up. And can put it in tubes too. Morph because I had a heart surgery a few years ago and doing flies with a tiny mini pump in my hands is not going to go well.

I feel like the goal is don't break the bead unless you really need to and then if you do it's likely you need some serious repair and a tube. There's still a case to make for tubes and patches. I tried putting a gravel bike tire on without the compressor in my driveway just to see if I could, and did not manage it. Did what I was supposed to, trying to pull the bead on, but it did not work. It might have worked better with a wider MTB rim with more of a shelf beside the channel, and more tire-flab to tug on, or just some other combination of tire/rim. And this was with a floor pump and then a cordless inflator, not a mini pump.

·
Registered
89 Posts
CO2 pump under the water bottle cage and samurai tire plug inside the handlebar or crank - on every bike - weight gain is minimal.
Has been enough so far and this way you don't forget and don't have to put anything in your pocket or backpack.

·
Disgruntled Peccary
6,621 Posts
That's up to you. I run cushcore on about half my wheel sets, I don't really want to remove it on the trail (but it's really not that hard to install/remove anyway IMO).. so putting a tube in is last-case for me. To be honest, it was before running inserts. I'd rather shove in some bacon strips or a dart than take the thing apart and shove a tube in.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.