Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
eastman
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading to SLC this summer with a riding group. Curious what folks recommend for tires on the trails in and around SLC.

My current setup is a Minion DHF 2.5 in the front and Ardent Race 2.35 in the rear for MD/PA riding.

Bike is a SC Tallboy 29'er if that helps. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,483 Posts
Thanks, MSU! didn't know if the DHF would be overkill
I'm a bit of a weight weenie and had been using 29x2.35 Nobby Nics for quite some time, but I've become a fan of the 2.5 Aggressor rear and 2.6 DHF front - even at a 1+pound penalty.

It's more than what is strictly required up here, but I'm really not seeing a significant downside. The Wasatch Back trails are pretty buff so lots of combos will work.

Once everything dries out, I'm gonna try out a pair of 29x2.6 Rekons front and back that I have for the 3000 foot climbs. Can't have too many tires!

·
eastman
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm a bit of a weight weenie and had been using 29x2.35 Nobby Nics for quite some time, but I've become a fan of the 2.5 Aggressor rear and 2.6 DHF front - even at a 1+pound penalty.

It's more than what is strictly required up here, but I'm really not seeing a significant downside. The Wasatch Back trails are pretty buff so lots of combos will work.

Once everything dries out, I'm gonna try out a pair of 29x2.6 Rekons front and back that I have for the 3000 foot climbs. Can't have too many tires!
Great feedback...and just what I was look for. Thanks again for your help!

·
Registered
61 Posts
You're overthinking it. Just bring whatever tires you normally use, so long as they're mountain bike tires. You'll be fine, it's pretty much all normal XC riding unless you're planning to ride the lift at DV or something.

-Walt
I am going to need to replace my Ikons. Looking for more grip once things dry out. Prefer to keep it light. What would be the ideal/favorite PC tire combo? No DV lift riding. Pedal up, ride down. Thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.