Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Old Fart
203 Posts
It would be helpful to know what kind of riding you like to do and to a certain extent where. There's a lot of diversity in upstate NY riding.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, sorry for not giving more info. I'm building up a yelli-screamy frame and not sure what tires to go with. Will be getting Flow EX wheelset. Planning on doing some trails in Thatcher Park area, might try Luther forest in Menands also. So many tires, not really sure where to start...

·
Old Fart
203 Posts
I've never ridden there so no idea what the terrain is like, sorry but I'll be no help.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
yeah, sorry for not giving more info. I'm building up a yelli-screamy frame and not sure what tires to go with. Will be getting Flow EX wheelset. Planning on doing some trails in Thatcher Park area, might try Luther forest in Menands also. So many tires, not really sure where to start...
The Yelli Screamy is a really fun bike for the Albany area. I have ridden mine everywhere you mentioned (including rockier places like SMBA and Spier Falls) and it's a blast. I would say that for pretty much any trail system in the Capital District, the Flow EX rims are way overkill and Arch EX would do just fine, especially with high-volume tires.

My go to tires for all but the muddiest of conditions are Maxxis Ikon 2.35 3C EXO (rear) and something more aggressive up front for example a Maxxis Ardent 2.4 EXO or a Specialized Purgatory 2.3. This will give you plenty of control and a fast rolling set up. For softer conditions where the Ikon may start spinning out, either another Ardent 2.4 or a Maxxis DHR II 2.3 EXO make an excellent high-traction setup. Rolling resistance will obviously suffer a bit.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Mountain kings trail kings las work well. Schwable aren't bad either. Both Luther and Thatcher are pretty tame

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
796 Posts
Mountain kings trail kings las work well. Schwable aren't bad either. Both Luther and Thatcher are pretty tame

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk
I won't buy mountain kings ever again. I had shredded sidewalls and torn knobs on my last pair, and the grip was marginal even with black chili compound. I am much happier with the maxxis setup NYbike mentioned above. It a bit heavy, but the tires hook up marvelously.

I should mention that the majority of my riding is at SMBA in Saratoga, but I ride a lot at Luther Forest in Malta and Pittstown SF.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I ride a single speed nimble nine in a lot of the above referenced areas and I've had good luck with racing Ralph 2.4 in the rear and also in the front. On some of the less techy, less muddy trails, I really liked the Gear Barro Race I had in the rear for a bit. My current setup is ardent 2.4 up front and racing Ralph 2.4 in the rear, but it's new for this season. I agree on the arch ex width being sufficient, but I always feel wider doesn't hurt.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
814 Posts
I 100% support the Ikon/Ardent combo.

I run Geax AKA/VeeTire Speed-R (basically an Ardent knockoff,) but in general I like the fast rolling 2.2 rear and a medium surface 2.4 front.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts