Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
New to tubeless and wondering what some good tires are for RI/CT/MA. Looking for two actually, one for general JRA and one for XC racing. Some suggestions to get me in th right direction would be great.
Thank you,
John

·
Registered
560 Posts
Are you looking for 26' or 29" tires? Are you looking for actual approved tubeless tires (UST), Tubeless ready or just plain old regular tires?

I live in RI and usually ride at Arcadia, Big River, and sometimes Lincon Woods.

I have a 29er and I've used and liked the Maxxis Crossmark (rear), Maxxis Ignitor (front), Schwalbe RR 2.4 (front), Contential Mountain King 2.2 (rear and it's actually like a 1.9), Kenda Karma 1.9 (rear, not durabale at all), and also the WTB Weirwolf (front).

The only tire I ever mounted rode and then immediately took off was Contential Mountain King 2.4, I had it on the front and the rolling resistance is horriable because the knobs are so tall and soft. I've also used the WTB exiwolf on the rear and its so so.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response Dan! I guess I left out some important info...

26" and actually, I am not sure which way to go on tires. The rims are UST, there are UST tires on there (person who had the bike used it around town so the tires aren't offroad) but I guess I should do some research.

·
Delirious Tuck
2,467 Posts
For JRA, XC thru AM, I've been very happy with a 2.4" Kenda Telonix and a 2.35" Kenda Excavator rear. If you're into the tech, i.e. love riding tricky rocky rooty lines, rollers, or riding rock and like a fast tire with a ton of grip this is a great combo.

The Kenda Nevegals sell like hot cakes around these parts for a reason as well, although I moved from the Nevys to the Telonix/Excavtor combo.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I will 2nd the Kenda Nevegals (Stick-E) for tech riding. I also liked the DTC front and Stick-E rear. I wouldn't suggest these tires are a cross country race but they are perfect for AM.

i also used to like the IRC Trail Bears when they were 14 bucks a piece.

·
ZEN RIDER!
950 Posts
I've been running the Eskar ust for 4 yrs now & use it as a year round tire. I run low pressure 20-28 lbs depending on what i'm riding & the time of year.
For xc racing I'd go something with small block & wider than you'd go with tubed tire.
I also like the Panaracer Rampage. Its much much smaller diameter than stated 2.3, more like 2.1. Would make a good everyday tire but also would be good for racing on the more techy courses.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts