Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be departing on the Great Divide Mountain Bike Route this August and I'll be riding a Niner M.C.R. Wanted to see if anyone had recommendations on some good tires? I'm looking for something with better than average rolling resistance (though it still needs some traction) and good wear.

Any thoughts and recommendations appreciated.

Thanks!

·
This place needs an enema
15,709 Posts
Nano, Dry X 2.1, Small Block 8, in that order.

Swap them front to back about halfway through, or just replace the rear.

MC

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yeah I'm thinking about doing it too. I was thinking about doing it on a Surly Long Haul Trucker - the frame can handle a 45C Tire. Do you all think that would be too small? I heard the trails aren't that technical but I'm sure theres plenty of nasty stuff along the way. what do you think?

·
100% recycled
383 Posts
Some rolling resistance data has been posted in the "Wheels" forum lately. I cant remember if they had any 29" tyres, and I doubt if you can accurately scale the performance from 26 to 29 inches, but its worth a look. Interesting, the new Racing Ralph's perform very well.

For the Great Divide route, most will use nanoraptors, but I kept on getting pinch flats at 200lbs plus gear. Last year, I had to ride with a slashed nano from Banff to Steamboat- its a sweet tyre but dont expect any shops to carry 29" tyres at all. You will want the cusion of a larger tyre.

·
Registered
243 Posts
mikesee said:
Nano, Dry X 2.1, Small Block 8, in that order.

Swap them front to back about halfway through, or just replace the rear.

MC
MC,

Did you use Schwalble Marathons on your GDR riders?

·
This place needs an enema
15,709 Posts
I used Kenda Khan's in 700 x 52.

Pretty sure they never made it to these shores en masse, although if I were going to do that route again I'd do some real digging to find 'em.

MC

·
Expert Crasher
6,358 Posts
there's been a few Kahns on Ebay recently....

·
nathan bay
172 Posts
Regarding 700x45...........I recently trained on some of the panaracers that size, fully loaded for a couple of months. They didn't hold up as well as I'd hoped and they made me real nervous on descents. The places I ride are very similar to the GDMBR. I didn't want to give up on them, but simultaneus pinch flats were the final straw.

·
nathan bay
172 Posts
Regarding 700x45...........I recently trained on some of the panaracers that size, fully loaded for a couple of months. They didn't hold up as well as I'd hoped and they made me real nervous on descents. The places I ride are very similar to the GDMBR. I didn't want to give up on them, but simultaneus pinch flats were the final straw.

·
US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
2,033 Posts
i can't attest to their load handling stregnth,as i just got my 1st 29er last week.i'm kinda a big fat n beefy tire kinda guy,so when i saw the nanorapters,i really didn't like em...till i rode em in the woods!they have surprized me w/ their traction,and roll fast!

and,what makes you think you could fit 45mm tires on me (longhaultrucker:p )?:lol:

·
Registered
243 Posts
I've got some long term plans for the GDR, and want to check out these two tires beforehand:

Halo Twin Rail 29 x 2.2

Marathon XR in 29 x 2.00

·
100% recycled
383 Posts
I use the Marathons for training. They are bulletproof but heavy. Guys use them for long expeditions across Africa, for faster racing with better access to stores, a lighter/better rolling tyre would be better.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Does anyone have a recommendation on minimum tire width? The Schwalbe Marathon XR's look good in terms of durability, protection and rolling resistance, but at only 2.00" wide them seem a little narrow.

I'll be using an ExtraWheel trailer instead of rack/panniers so the weight on my bike will be kept to a minimum.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts