Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi new here looking for tires for my hardtail...i mainly do singletrack and hardpack..as a student i cant afford to keep changing tires every 1->2 months(3 to 4 rides a week) so would prefer something durable..i used to own Larsens TT..but they simply wear too quickly...also i would like to keep the weight down (i am abit weight weenie)

not really a tire guy so dont have much of an idea about tires..my friends recommend me the Schwalbe Racing Ralphs....would like some advice :D

·
ol'guy who says hi &waves
2,546 Posts
mafia6 said:
hi new here looking for tires for my hardtail...i mainly do singletrack and hardpack..as a student i cant afford to keep changing tires every 1->2 months(3 to 4 rides a week) so would prefer something durable..i used to own Larsens TT..but they simply wear too quickly...also i would like to keep the weight down (i am abit weight weenie)

not really a tire guy so dont have much of an idea about tires..my friends recommend me the Schwalbe Racing Ralphs....would like some advice :D
Hard to beat IRC Trail Bears for all round performance, wear and price.

·
Registered
245 Posts
mafia6 said:
erm guys any other alternatives? cause the Trailbears arent availible in my country... :(
Panaracer XC Fires and Kenda Nevegals are good choices. The Nevegal (the Tomac Stick-E version) was rated best all round tire by one of the magazines recently.

·
Lazy People Suck
767 Posts
I am strictly XC guy and a weight weenie, so you know where my recommendations are coming from:

For dry hardpack conditions, my current favorite is a Kenda Blue Groove Lite 2.0 DTC in the fron and a Kenda Karma 2.0 DTC in the rear. My other favorite hardpack tire is the Hutchinson Python Airlight. These all roll well and hook up well on hardpack. These tend to be around 480 grams although I found a couple of Kendas in the 440s.

For more technical conditions and leaf covered single track in the fall, I like the Kenda Blue 2.1 DTC or the Hutchinson Spider Airlight 2.1s. Both also roll pretty well and are not obscenely heavy (580 gr to 630 gr)

For wetter races, I like the Schwalbe Jimmy Light 2.1s. A very narrow 2.1, but it rolls decently and doesn't pack up. about 495-500 grams. It is a good all arounder as is the Continental Explorer Pro.

For muddy, suck the shoe off your foot, type of mud, I like the Specialized Extreme Master/Control 1.7s Team Edition (an older tire). They are skinny with large lugs. They hook up very well in the nastiest of conditions and are sub 500 grams, but when things dry up, they are some of the worst dry rolling tires I have used.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts