Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently moved to bay area and since I am buying new wheels I will be getting new set of tires. I currently run Conti Trail King 2.4 F/R which are great tires for east coast on a wet, rock and root trails. However seems those are overkill for bay area. I have been riding trail in Santa Cruz (UCONN) and felt my tires are too heavy. What tire/size would you recommend? BTW I am riding SB66.

Thanks!

·
NedwannaB
12,765 Posts
If you like the Conti's, maybe just use a Mtn King up front and switch to an X-King in back for a little better roll. After all it's still going to be a SB66 bike you're riding. ;)

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I really like those tires, but you're right that they are probably overkill for those trails - I like the X-Kings for that type of riding - fast & light but they hold a seal & never burp

Edit: Jmac beat me to it!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you like the Conti's, maybe just use a Mtn King up front and switch to an X-King in back for a little better roll. After all it's still going to be a SB66 bike you're riding. ;)
I wanted to spare someone asking what I ride to recommend tires... Thanks for the recommendation.

I really like those tires, but you're right that they are probably overkill for those trails - I like the X-Kings for that type of riding - fast & light but they hold a seal & never burp

Edit: Jmac beat me to it!
Thanks. I have been looking at those. What size would you recommend? Stay wider up front and move to 2.2 rear?

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Thanks. I have been looking at those. What size would you recommend? Stay wider up front and move to 2.2 rear?
If you were just riding those types of trails (smooth, flowy, not many rocks) I think X-Kings 2.4F & 2.2R could be a good setup, but if you occasionally venture to other areas that get a bit rougher & steeper, you might want a bit more grip on the front - I like the Hans Dampf up front, or maybe a Maxxis Ardent?

·
Snowjnky McDreamy
2,554 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
If you were just riding those types of trails (smooth, flowy, not many rocks) I think X-Kings 2.4F & 2.2R could be a good setup, but if you occasionally venture to other areas that get a bit rougher & steeper, you might want a bit more grip on the front - I like the Hans Dampf up front, or maybe a Maxxis Ardent?
Love the TK 2.2 in the rear, been running the TK 2.4 in the front, great tire, prolly switch the front to a Hans Dampf 2.35 as I slightly prefer it on the front. I've yet to find a better rear, tried many

·
Registered
531 Posts
I'd keep the TK 2.4 up front and run the X-King 2.4 protection in the rear! I have ridden this combo a lot around the Bay Area and it works great. You get a sweet aggressive tire up front with a fast rolling rear that can take the hits:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts