Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would appreciate some tire recommendations for my forthcoming fatty.

I'd like something that would decent/capable in snow, but snow coverage in my neck of the woods is sporadic, so would probably end up being only about 10% of my riding. Most of my riding will be dry: pasture grass, sandy soil, chalky soft rock, trails with some tree roots/limbs now and then...as well as some gravel grinding on county roads to get there. While much of this is flattish, there are enough hilly 7-8% sections where "spinning out"/losing traction on the soft sandy soil/rock is a common problem with the non-fatty mtbr's.

I'm in the heart of goathead/puncturevine country, so above all I need something that can handle those guys without issues.

These would be running tubeless with sealant on the Mulefut 80SLs.

From the little digging around I've done on tire choices, seems like the Nates, Maxxis Mammoths or Spec Fast Trak Fats might be good choices? Others?

Thanks for your help-

·
Registered
187 Posts
Tires are like toilet paper. Some like it smooth, some rough.. ☺

Jj4.8s Snakeskins. Those are my goto tires for all except deep powder. You can't beat the weight and rolling resistance.

·
Trying to be helpful
2,550 Posts
Maxxis Minions EXO TR 4.8 or 4.0, 45NRTH Husker Du or VanHelga also seem to be some popular dirt fat tires. I'm currently running the Minion FBF & FBR 4.8 TR EXO and think they are superb dirt tires, which have handled the small amount of snow they have seen this winter. I ride my fatty mostly dirt trails.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you ridden these in areas with thorn/puncture or similar threats? Seems like more than a few on this forum have had concerns about the durability of Schwalbes in general. I have a love/hate view of Schwalbes on some of my other bikes...they perform really well and roll really fast/smooth, but I've had more puncture/failure issues with them and ended up running Conti gatorskins after that...

Tires are like toilet paper. Some like it smooth, some rough.. ☺

Jj4.8s Snakeskins. Those are my goto tires for all except deep powder. You can't beat the weight and rolling resistance.

·
Rocking on a Rocky
1,640 Posts
I think I'm the only one who likes them Bulldozers.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Have you ridden these in areas with thorn/puncture or similar threats? Seems like more than a few on this forum have had concerns about the durability of Schwalbes in general. I have a love/hate view of Schwalbes on some of my other bikes...they perform really well and roll really fast/smooth, but I've had more puncture/failure issues with them and ended up running Conti gatorskins after that...
Snakeskins, not liteskins. Set up tubeless and I find them bulletproof. I've been bombing through a lot of puncture prone tracks without an issue☺

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After reading more threads on these forums as well as some other online reviews, it seems like either the Knard or the Hodag in 3.8" might be a good choice for something close to an "all season" tire that is capable of handling a little snow, but will mostly be dry-season over grass and trails with chalky/sandy rock and soil. They both get props for being a good compromise between decent traction in many conditions and less rolling resistance compared to a more aggressive tire like the Nate which is probably overkill for the kind of riding I'm anticipating.

Am I on the right track? Any reasons to lean towards one rather than the other?...they both seem like good tires.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I tried Maxxis I didn't like them much switched to specialized fast traks 4.0's 2 weeks later. I love my Maxxis's on my Camber. My conditions are NC we get basically no snow that anyone is riding on in my part of NC. The Spec FT's are great traction and good rolling resistance. Air pressure is important I wouldn't try to run them low they perform best when the tire is full and round. I am 6'3 215 I run 9 up front and 8 in the rear.

·
MaxTheCyclist.com
666 Posts
After reading more threads on these forums as well as some other online reviews, it seems like either the Knard or the Hodag in 3.8" might be a good choice for something close to an "all season" tire that is capable of handling a little snow, but will mostly be dry-season over grass and trails with chalky/sandy rock and soil. They both get props for being a good compromise between decent traction in many conditions and less rolling resistance compared to a more aggressive tire like the Nate which is probably overkill for the kind of riding I'm anticipating.

Am I on the right track? Any reasons to lean towards one rather than the other?...they both seem like good tires.
Good tires, but the Knard isn't tubeless compatible, so you'd be setting it up "ghetto tubeless" which may or may not be what you're looking for. The Husker Du is a decent tubeless-compatible all-rounder.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good point, I hadn't caught that.

Looks like the Schwalbe JJ's in 4.0 maybe 4.4 (Snakeskin) might be a good choice too.

Good tires, but the Knard isn't tubeless compatible, so you'd be setting it up "ghetto tubeless" which may or may not be what you're looking for. The Husker Du is a decent tubeless-compatible all-rounder.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts