Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, haven't posted in a while; hope everyone is well. Searched, but didn't find recommendations for my specific need.

Looking to make a small change in tire choices and I'd like some specific recommendations for my scenario. Please don't recommend something you've never ridden.

I'm 6'1" 210lb, Niner SIR9 singlespeed w/ Stan's ARCH rims, riding rigid on East coast PA/MD/DE/VA trails (roots, rocks, mud/dry).

I've been running Stan's CROW 2.0 tires tubeless w/ Stan's sauce at 28-32lbs rear and 26-30 lbs front. They seal great, hold air surprisingly well, they're definitley 'grippy' on climbs and hardpack, and I have been really impressed at how well they handle at low and moderate speeds. But I just can't get comfortable at high speeds (probably my imperfect technique). My rear wheel washes out WAY too easily on ripping downhills and they're tough to climb on the SS in the mud. I thought I was going to crash and kill myself the first 12hr race on them. I'm finding the low pressures recommended are great for traction; but I touch rim more often than I'd like; so I tend to run a bit higher pressures than I probably could get away with since I'm worried about damaging the rims.

Can somebody recommend some tire options that will let me run tubeless on the ARCH rims, hold a seal nicely, let me continue to run under 38 lbs pressure, and have better stability in corners and at high speeds?

Here's the feel I'm looking for: I love the handling of Conti Explorer Pro UST on my 26" bike - If I could find that feel on the 29" ARCH rims, I'd be happy. The same bike handles great with Maxxis Ignitors on my trails; but that is probably more tire/tread than I need; and I don't know if I can run them tubeless on the Stan's rims.

·
Expert Crasher
6,356 Posts
I rode in VA all last summer and the Ardent worked very well for me, tubeless on a Flow. I used a Bontrager Xdx out back - great as well (in the dry). If you have mud more often then not, I'd look to something else like an Ignitor or Captain out back then.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
GreenLightGo said:
I rode in VA all last summer and the Ardent worked very well for me, tubeless on a Flow. I used a Bontrager Xdx out back - great as well (in the dry). If you have mud more often then not, I'd look to something else like an Ignitor or Captain out back then.
Would you consider the XDX to be in the same category as the Crossmark? The XDX appear considerably heavier.

·
Always Learning
9,607 Posts
VTSEAL said:
Hey folks, haven't posted in a while; hope everyone is well. Searched, but didn't find recommendations for my specific need.

Looking to make a small change in tire choices and I'd like some specific recommendations for my scenario. Please don't recommend something you've never ridden.

I'm 6'1" 210lb, Niner SIR9 singlespeed w/ Stan's ARCH rims, riding rigid on East coast PA/MD/DE/VA trails (roots, rocks, mud/dry).

I've been running Stan's CROW 2.0 tires tubeless w/ Stan's sauce at 28-32lbs rear and 26-30 lbs front. They seal great, hold air surprisingly well, they're definitley 'grippy' on climbs and hardpack, and I have been really impressed at how well they handle at low and moderate speeds. But I just can't get comfortable at high speeds (probably my imperfect technique). My rear wheel washes out WAY too easily on ripping downhills and they're tough to climb on the SS in the mud. I thought I was going to crash and kill myself the first 12hr race on them. I'm finding the low pressures recommended are great for traction; but I touch rim more often than I'd like; so I tend to run a bit higher pressures than I probably could get away with since I'm worried about damaging the rims.

Can somebody recommend some tire options that will let me run tubeless on the ARCH rims, hold a seal nicely, let me continue to run under 38 lbs pressure, and have better stability in corners and at high speeds?

Here's the feel I'm looking for: I love the handling of Conti Explorer Pro UST on my 26" bike - If I could find that feel on the 29" ARCH rims, I'd be happy. The same bike handles great with Maxxis Ignitors on my trails; but that is probably more tire/tread than I need; and I don't know if I can run them tubeless on the Stan's rims.
Step up to the Raven 2.2's.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Any maxxis tire will work great tubeless using the stan's sealant.

Right not I have ignitor front, crossmark rear. I like it but I might soon try crossmark front and rear or possibly an ardent front with a crossmark rear.

·
Life is Go0d!
891 Posts
,I would rather have peace of mind, than a small weight penalty. Thats why I run XDX front and rear. I am 220 on a SS. 26 psi front, 28 to 30 in the rear. I have wide rims, so the volume is up a bit. ,

·
Expert Crasher
6,356 Posts
bikenut316 said:
Would you consider the XDX to be in the same category as the Crossmark? The XDX appear considerably heavier.
No = the Xdx has a nice Abrasion Resistant Casing and is tubeless ready. IMO - it's pretty well suited for use on the Stans rims. The Crossmark (which is a tire I really like) is not tubeless ready (though I put 1300 miles on one mounted tubeless on my Flow).

·
Registered
276 Posts
I live in VA and use the Ardent front & Crossmark rear combo with Stan's. I weigh 180 (give or take a few) and run them on Bontrager Rhythm wheels (advertised as 28mm wide) @ 26-30 psi and 33-35 psi respectively. The Crossmark provides great traction as long as you keep weight on it. Plus, it's got great tread life. Due to the centerline tread pattern the Crossmark may not be aggressive enough for a single speed. Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the advice

Thank you for the responses, and comments from other threads.

I decided to go with an Ignitor / Ardent combo. My primary concern was the back wheel washout at high speeds that I was experiencing (probably my crummy technique coming through), and a secondary goal of running low volume for traction and bump compliance on a singlespeed running rigid. So I started by reversing the typical logic and setup the Ardent 2.25 in the rear, and the Ignitor 2.1 in the front.

First ride in dry conditions felt like a million bucks -- climbed like a mountain goat, and descended like a devil. None of the previous washout problems, and I dropped several minutes off one of my typical routes.

Both tires are setup tubeless on the Arch rims, and sealed without drama. I did have to use an inner tube overnight to get the Ardent to seat nicely; but the next am I set up tubeless with the compressor. The biggest surprise was how low I could set the rear pressure with that huge tire - 27 lbs without feeling any rim on bigger hits. That was a very pleasant surprise...

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
falcon1984 said:
The XDX are great tires:thumbsup:

Not the best for mud though
I am warming up to the XDX as a rear tire more each day. At first I hated it. The stiff wall allows very low psi and this is what the tire needs. It rolls fast but only grips when I run 25psi. That is the lowest I ever ran a rear tire at my 210-215lb ride weight. I am running an ACX TR 2.2 up front. The sidewall is not nearly as stiff and the 2.2 ACX gives a smaller appearance than the 2.1 XDX.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'm about 180 riding weight and my psi is sub 20 psi (17.5). And the xdx tires are great. I was suspicious at first but over a month using them riding 4 days a week on rooty ground with logs mixed in and some nasty downhills they have handled great.

I'm not a graceful rider at all either.

I know now why mu lbs talked so highly of the xdx tires when I questioned them when I bought the bike.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts