Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried the search function but couldn't find a single thread that answered my question. Anyways, I'm thinking about getting my first 29'er and may start commuting. Will wider 700c tires or cyclocross tires fit on my 29" rims? If this helps, I'm thinking of getting the Dawes Bullseye and converting it to 1x9, and if I do start commuting I was hoping to use cross tires or wide road tires (like hybrid tires). Any help or pointers from people who use/have tried this is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
sasquatch rides a SS said:
I tried the search function but couldn't find a single thread that answered my question. Anyways, I'm thinking about getting my first 29'er and may start commuting. Will wider 700c tires or cyclocross tires fit on my 29" rims? If this helps, I'm thinking of getting the Dawes Bullseye and converting it to 1x9, and if I do start commuting I was hoping to use cross tires or wide road tires (like hybrid tires). Any help or pointers from people who use/have tried this is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
As long as the tires are a couple millimeters wider than the outside width of your rim then it will work ok. With a 10mm or more difference like you will get with cross or road tires above 35mm mounted on those stock Bullseye rims it should work great

Ritchey Speedmax 700x40c cross tires on a 24mm wide 29er rim have been working well for me on trails and road so far

·
Trail Junkie
2,210 Posts
Yes they will, try to stick with atleast 700/35c or bigger. If you are looking for a baloony road tire that fits the bill, look at the Schwalbe Big Apples. The Big Apples will roll a bit smoother, last longer, and be a bit faster on the road. If you are looking for something with a little bit more trail prowess, well just have to figure out what one will be by preference, just get 35c or bigger.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.