Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a season of DH, my rear tire (2.35 Minion DHR super tacky) is just about gone. I liked the way my tire setup performed this year, but I'm not really into having to replace a tire so soon. I have a 2.5 DHF 3C on the front and am thinking about swapping it to the back and getting a 2.5 or 2.7 DHF super tacky for the front. The front doesn't have much wear yet, and it seems to make more sense to run a super tacky up front than in back anyway (at least to me).

Anyone out there running a DHF as a rear tire? How does it perform compared to a DHR? Would I be better off just getting a 3C DHR? I occasionally feel the need to pedal uphill, so I'd like decent climbing performance, but I don't expect anything spectacular.
 

·
Glad to Be Alive
Joined
·
42,972 Posts
it lasted a whole DH season....and you like it......just keep using it then.......we can go through rear tires every 2 months when riding every day......it really isn't that bad....

try an untacky one....higher like a 60 dur. less grip but will last longer
 

·
check your six
Joined
·
4,181 Posts
+1 to what SMT said. I run the 60a Minions and have yet to 'Have" to replace a tire. I usually replace a tire because of the desire for something different. I run 60a Holy Rollers on the hardtail, 60a 2.5 F/R minions on my Bottle Rocket, and 60a 2.7 F/R Minions on my big bike. I really like how long the regular compound lasts with the minions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
it lasted a whole DH season....and you like it......just keep using it then.......we can go through rear tires every 2 months when riding every day......it really isn't that bad....

try an untacky one....higher like a 60 dur. less grip but will last longer
If I'd ridden it every day and not missed a couple of weeks in the middle of the season due to injuries, I wouldn't be complaining. But again, I guess I shouldn't expect much life from a super tacky tire. Regardless of what I put on there next, it will be a harder compound.

So you guys think I should stick with a DHR and get a 3C?
 

·
Pivotal figure
Joined
·
6,361 Posts
I've run the DHF on back several times. It works decent enough, similar to a Nevegal. As for 3C on the back, it'll be super grippy but you'll wear it out fairly quick. I prefer to run the super tacky's on front and leave the harder compound on back.
 

·
Look at the time!
Joined
·
1,139 Posts
I compared them back to back on the same bike, and the 2.5" Minions 60a are superior to the 2.35" 42a in every way. Grip is at least the same if not better with the 2.5s (on all kinds of terrain), at the same time they have much better pinchflat protection and they last a lot longer. Also, the 60a work in sub freezing temperatures (if that is a concern), where the 42a and 40a turn into porcellain and crack.
If the 2.5 Minions fit your frame, there is no reason to run 2.35 STs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,930 Posts
kenbentit said:
I've run the DHF on back several times. It works decent enough, similar to a Nevegal. As for 3C on the back, it'll be super grippy but you'll wear it out fairly quick. I prefer to run the super tacky's on front and leave the harder compound on back.
The 3C compound uses a 70a center so they should last LONGER if I'm not mistaken. I'm giving those some serious thought myself for my next set. Also considering UST but don't want added weight if I don't have to. Can anyone tell me air loss differences between the standard 2 ply 2.5's (with Stans of course) and the UST version when run on a UST rim?

I use DHF's on the back too. I run the 2.35 60a compound on the back and 42 front for my trail bike and that works beautifully (other than I do run them tubeless with Stans and need to refill them often, unlike my UST Alberts that they replaced). They're single plies tho and not a real good choice for a downhill/fr tire because of the thin casings (and probably why they lose air quicker?).

Have FUN!

G
 

·
Pivotal figure
Joined
·
6,361 Posts
The 3C has the harder compound in the center but the outer lugs are super soft. I ride in a lot of rocky stuff which just rips those side lugs off. The center does look nice though:thumbsup:
 

·
Slap happy crappiness
Joined
·
1,090 Posts
C S said:
Anyone out there running a DHF as a rear tire? How does it perform compared to a DHR? Would I be better off just getting a 3C DHR? I occasionally feel the need to pedal uphill, so I'd like decent climbing performance, but I don't expect anything spectacular.
Having never run the 3C compound, I can't comment there. But, I've run 40, 42, and 60 compounds on both the DHR and DHF.
IMO, the DHF front and rear holds in corners better, and has a more predictable drifting point. The DHR seemed to have a mind of it's own in the usual conditions I ride in, which is dry hard pack and sand.
Race weekends I'll run two 2.5 DHF's in the 42 compound. I used to run the 40's but they no longer have them here. For the rest of my riding, it was usually a 60a DHF in 2.5 in the back, and a 42 DHF 2.5 up front. That combo gave great traction and didn't wear fast at all. Now I'm running 60a DHF's in 2.5 both front and rear just for the fu*k of it. When I put the 42s on it feels like I'm on rails due to the extra traction.

Gman086 said:
The 3C compound uses a 70a center so they should last LONGER if I'm not mistaken. I'm giving those some serious thought myself for my next set. Also considering UST but don't want added weight if I don't have to. Can anyone tell me air loss differences between the standard 2 ply 2.5's (with Stans of course) and the UST version when run on a UST rim?
I run my setup tubeless with non-UST tires on 823's with Stans. When I get a good seal, air loss is minimal. First night after inflating sometimes the loose a bit of air but after the first ride they usually stay right were I left em.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top