Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I've been running 2.5 minions for about a season now, and they seemed to have gotten really chewed up pretty quickly. As its my first season riding, how long do you guys ride on the same tires, how chewed up do you let them get? It just seemed weird to me, before this i've never really noticed much wear ever from the cheapo tires that came w/ my trek 4300. So far I haven't noticed a difference in their performance, but I do not want to be caught off guard when they slip unexpectedly. Advice on the matter would be appreciated.

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
Lickqid said:
Hey, I've been running 2.5 minions for about a season now, and they seemed to have gotten really chewed up pretty quickly. As its my first season riding, how long do you guys ride on the same tires, how chewed up do you let them get? It just seemed weird to me, before this i've never really noticed much wear ever from the cheapo tires that came w/ my trek 4300. So far I haven't noticed a difference in their performance, but I do not want to be caught off guard when they slip unexpectedly. Advice on the matter would be appreciated.
Rubber compound can make the difference - Minions (and many other tires) come in soft compounds, which can get chewed up on rocky conditions, but stick great when it's wet. A good compromise is to use soft rubber front tire, with harder compound on the rear, to last longer.

·
Absurd
919 Posts
Lickqid said:
Any recommendations for a new harder compound rear tire?
I ran 42 dur. Minions front and rear this season, and the rear wore out really quickly. I threw it away after about 4 months, and at that point it was toast. Alot of guys run a 42 or 40 in front and a 60 dur. in the rear, that is one way to keep the tire around a little longer. You could also experiment with different brands. Intense FRO's come in a 50 wich is pretty sticky, but also lasts long. I'd say that it will probably last the longest. IMO the problem with them though, is that they are way too thick and the tire body is too firm. Kenda's seem to be a decent medium. I have the Nevegals and they've lasted 9 months on my trail bike. I'm not sure of their durometer, it is the stick-e rubber though. They're very predictable on a wide variety of terain. If you look around, you can find Maxxis Mobsters in a 50, they are pretty good all around tires as well, with a semi sticky compound, but one that will outlast the 42.

I guess it's all what you are willing to trade off.

·
rollin
2,646 Posts
MVRIDER said:
Alot of guys run a 42 or 40 in front and a 60 dur. in the rear
that's what i got going on, 60rear/40front (2.6 marzocchi) combo. good for corners and tire life. the rear lasts about 3 months or so.

your trek tires were probably 80 durameter, that's why they last so long.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.