Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchase a Raleigh Cadent bike for my son. Need new tires but when I look on the tire it reads (52-559)24x1.75. The sizing guides I find online doesn't show these numbers corresponding to each other. Also, is 1.75 an odd number? I have trouble finding replacements online.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is what is confusing to me. It is clear on the sidewall. I searched online using both and noticed they aren't even close. I do know it is a 24” bike but I am confused on the tires. Both front and back say the same thing.

·
Registered
19,407 Posts
Well that's weird because 559 is for sure 26", a 24" wheel iso is 507.

Anyway if the wheels are 24" then any 24" (507 iso) tire will fit the rim. If the frame has the clearance I'd probably go with a bit wider tire than 1.75, maybe a 2 or 2.125 inch.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can't find any brand name on the tire so it probably is something cheap someone found. I purchased the bike used and need to get tires for it. Looked up both numbers and was confused so I figured I would see what help I could find here.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
8,331 Posts
that is using an older, retired, sizing number scheme ...24x1.5 is 559. but no longer used
...makes no sense really why a new tire is stamped like that....

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
8,331 Posts
found another
somewhere is a database file with a bad mix of rim sizes using old numbering

Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Circle

·
Registered
19,407 Posts
I think it's just the wrong numbers and not necessarily old ones. They list the correct ISO in their description.

I have no idea why a 24" tire would be marked as having a 26" diameter but it does seem weird and I'd be interested to know what's up with that. Maybe the company just didn't have the right stamp and figured no one would notice?

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
8,331 Posts
the only thing that makes sense, on that tire, is that is the outer marking, (final wheel diameter)
not the bead seat diameter

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.