Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry everyone. I know this has been done to death, and I could do a search, but...

...my SS project is up to 'choosing tire' time.

I understand that running slightly larger volumes and widths is common practice.
What difference can I expect between 1.95" and 2.1" tires.

Should I consider even wider, say 2.3"? Any recommendations.

My riding here in New Zealand is varied. Mostly single-track (Wellington, Makara, etc): mud, dry, rock, dirt. So I need that magic set of tyres(tires) that will do everything.
cheers

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
amaurosis fugax said:
Sorry everyone. I know this has been done to death, and I could do a search, but...

I understand that running slightly larger volumes and widths is common practice.

My riding here in New Zealand is varied. Mostly single-track (Wellington, Makara, etc): mud, dry, rock, dirt. So I need that magic set of tyres(tires) that will do everything.
cheers
Many run larger tires as their bikes are rigid and it helps with adding some cushion to the ride. If you are not rigid is is not as big of deal. I also use large volume tires to get a higher side wall. This means I can run less air and it also means my tire rolls faster (in theory) than a tire with a shorter side wall. I would never run a 1.95 or a 2.1 on a SS, however, I have many friends that run both. These friends using the 1.95 do use front suspension though. I have quite a few buddies running 2.1 or bigger running rigid and hardtail settups. It is choice and where you ride, but like I said, if you are rigid (or just going rigid) a bigger tire will help. If you are going to run a hard tail and have been that way with gears I would use the same tires. Now go have fun!! :thumbsup:
Cheers,
miSSionary

·
Expert Pushing SSer
1,503 Posts
amaurosis fugax said:

cheers
What miSSionary said. Plus try the Kenda Nevegals or Blue Grooves in the 2.35 flavor. I tried 2.1 rigid and was unhappy (Panaracer Fire XC pros). Good tires, just need a little more give. I have since gone to either WTBs Motoraptor 2.24 rear and Mutano 2.24 front, or Panaracer Cinder 2.25 rear and Panaracer Fire FR 2.4 front. I like the last combo the best. When a dufflebag of money arrives on my doorstep, I will try the Kendas because I hear good things.

Cheers!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.
I have a barely used 2.1" Velociraptor that I will use on the rear, and will find something similar for up front.
My front fork is only 80mm. And until funds increase I am using my old Alu Hard-tail. So I guess I need a bit of cushioning.

Kenda Nevegal's are a bit hard to come by in little old NZ, but everyone seems to rave about them don't they

·
Registered
590 Posts
My favorite new "big" tires are the Conti Diesels. These are 2.5" which is small for what I usually ride (2.6 and 3.0 Gazzaloddi). Conti makes the same tread in a 2.3 called the Gravity. I've had these tires out in the pouring rain going up muddy/rooty trails (and down same) and the grip was excellent and they are much faster rolling tires than the gazzi's. Of course I run them at slightly higher pressures, ~15psi in the front and ~20 psi in the back.
just my $.02
bike ON
bob

·
from the east
288 Posts
red-haze.com said:
My favorite new "big" tires are the Conti Diesels. These are 2.5" which is small for what I usually ride (2.6 and 3.0 Gazzaloddi).
bob
I am interested in these...Can you compare thier size to a WTB Mutanoraptor or some other popular large tire? (To the original poster: The mutano's are a very popular SS tire because they are quite large in the casing, but very light and fast-rolling.)

eric.

·
Registered
590 Posts
compared to a mutano the diesels grip MUCH better in wet muddy stuff and yet the roll feels similar. Mutano's are a great tire around here especially for summer but I think the diesels and gravity are better all year tires. size? a 2.5 diesel on Sun singletrack rim of course looks much larger than the mutano. I don't have a gravity on hand to compare it to. I don't know off hand what a mutano weighs but I lost a good pound and a half of rotating weight over the gazzi's (2.6 front/2.3rear) I was running. the diesel 2.5 lists at 790g which seems quite light to me.

bike ON
bob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.