Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently riding a '13 Giant Trance 29r, stock Nobby Nics are about worn off. Any personal use recommendations? Most of my riding is MTRP, East Elliot, basically all SD. I'm not a gravity guy, I don't jump too much but I do like playing with things. Currently tubed will likely go tubeless with new tires. I liked the climbing grip of the Nics but the lack of grip/feel/confidence when leaning the bike is making me not want to get same set. Thinking of giving WTB Vigilantes a whirl. I'm about 185lbs geared up to ride.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I do most of my riding at East Elliot and MTRP, too. I like Maxxis Crossmarks for out there, but they're gotten a little spendy so I've gone to Larsen TT's 2.35". Small Block 8's work in a pinch on the rear, but I like something with a little more bite up front. FWIW, I'm about 180 lbs. all geared up and ride a 4" travel xc bike and a hardtail SS with a 4" fork.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I roll Continental's Trail Kings. Upfront 27.5 x 235 In the rear 2.45
I ride MTRP and like the durability the tires have to offer. My last set were Knobby Nic's. Knobby Nic's are great tires when new, problem is they wear so fast and get sketchy. MTRP is scetchy enough this year with out the rain and the baby heads in the middle of the ruts.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Do you/they seem to ride similarly to what I have described? Both in terms of bikes, trails, habits, etc?
Mostly, yes. Some are conservative and others leave the ground whenever they can. Trail bikes of every wheel size in the group (26" stumpy, 27.5" Pivot, 29" trance etc.) and one FS XC bike (Epic 29er). We're all, one bike for every trail, types.

My favorite trails in your area would be E-ticket in west MTRP, going downhill on any trail in E. Elliot, fun trails at the top of the hill east of Santee Lakes. Favorite ride in the SD area is Los Gatos, Big Laguna and down Noble.

Only tire I've ever hated was some Hutchinson (python?) that was like riding on ball bearings. Oh, wait I didn't like the Specialized tires that came with my bike either (Captain and Ground control) due to super weak sidewalls when run tubeless. They didn't hold up well to the square-edges at La Costa (my local, go to trail).

And every mtb tire over $45.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I'm running a Ground Control 2.25 in rear and am looking to upgrade to tougher walls but similar handling and preferably not from the big S. Ardent 2.25 EXO looks like a good match, and its specs indicate large volume which I view favorably. Does anybody have a comparison of volume or handling between 2.25 Ground Control vs. 2.25 Ardent EXO?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My bud has/had some Ground Controls, liked em but those sidewalls are fragile. I'm kind of digging the reviews on Ardents and Highrollers, never owned a pair of Maxxis tires. Believe I will be ordering at beginning of the month.

·
Banned
4,816 Posts
When you order your Ardents, especially if you are getting one for the front tire, spend the extra $$ and absorb the extra gram-age and order them in the "Exo" casing.

Even though the numbers on the tires are the same, the "EXO" casing tire sets up looking noticeable taller than the regular casing, and it does stop the pinchy-flats.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Another vote for Ardent 2.4 EXO up front. I run good ol' fashioned tubes, at about 32 psi and haven't had a pinch flat in ages. In the back I'm on my second set of 2.35 Maxxis Ignitors - decent grip and seems to roll nicely but also seems to wear out quickly.

Just got a new-to-me (but used) set of Crossmax SX wheels with with tires already mounted. The front has a Kenda Telonix 2.4 - not sure why but it's mounted backwards! The back has a 2.35 Kenda BBG Pro. Both in almost new condition and set up tubeless, so I'm curious to see how they roll.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I ride in the same area. I have 2.3 Hans Dampf in front and 2.2 Racing Ralph in the back. Tubeless. I run 25 psi front and 30 in back. I think this is a really great setup for the loose over hard here in SD.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Once again thanks all for the very specific input, this is exactly what I have been wanting to hear. Decided that for sure the front will be an Ardent 2.4 with all manner of armor built in. Thinking I'll flip a coin between a HighRoller and a Saguaro outback. Never used either Maxxis or Geax tire before, may as well double my experience with brands right.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.