Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Diamondback Overdrive I am messing with...... the clearance is tight for a Nanoraptor in the back, but I am running one anyway. The problem is that the tires don't seat perfectly on the rim and there is a place or two that a knob will rub the stays during the revolution. Rims are true and round. I have tried remounting it several times, messing around with talc at the bead, trying to ease it into alignment at low pressure, repumping, etc. to no avail. Rim is a Mavic A719, Velox tape, normal weight tubes.... happens at all reaonable pressures. Problem occurs at different places on the tire.... that is if I "fix" it over here it springs up over there....

I talked to a framebuilder about indenting the stays but he advised against doing so.....

Questions are:

1. Any recommendations on getting the tire to seat better?

2. What would the next available tire down in size be that might work well as a rear tire.... (maybe 1/8" less)? (Western Oregon conditions.... but not heavy mud.....)

3. Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Not going to be any help with your bead seating issues but just curious about which Overdrive model you have, the Comp or Standard? My standard OD holds a Nano really well although one day when I was hanging around 420 Belleview and had the thing torn down some I did do a bit of crimping on the seatstays.

Here's mine. Well actually used to be mine as I passed it on this fall to a friend that lives in B'ham.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bigwheel said:
Not going to be any help with your bead seating issues but just curious about which Overdrive model you have, the Comp or Standard? My standard OD holds a Nano really well although one day when I was hanging around 420 Belleview and had the thing torn down some I did do a bit of crimping on the seatstays.

Here's mine. Well actually used to be mine as I passed it on this fall to a friend that lives in B'ham.

Mine does not say "Comp"... maybe that means it is a Standard? Tubing is True Temper AVR if that identifies it. Bought it used so some of the components were switched out... but I think it was DX level originally.

Same color scheme as your photo (the frame that is), rigid original fork, size I think is one bigger than yours.

Currently commuting on it with slicks and full on fenders and love it for that.... seriously considering a second bike to have a dedicated 29er and the chance to experiment with bigger tires. Original fork could be more beefy for my weight (195) on dirt too.....

Did you crimp your stays yourself and if so, how did you do it?

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
Try rotating the tire 90 degrees on the rim. A little soapy water can help, too. This will only really help if there is a distinct hop (low spot) in the tire. If it is just a little wobble it is probably in the tire.

The Conti Vapor is narrower though I would go for the Panaracer Fire Cross 700 x 45.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
shiggy said:
Try rotating the tire 90 degrees on the rim. A little soapy water can help, too. This will only really help if there is a distinct hop (low spot) in the tire. If it is just a little wobble it is probably in the tire.

The Conti Vapor is narrower though I would go for the Panaracer Fire Cross 700 x 45.
OK, I will try that.

I found a 47mm Panaracer Smoke (new old stock!) that I have not put on yet... was hoping that there might be something in between a Nanoraptor and that. In your experience, does it mess up the bike's handling to have a big difference between front and rear in size? (I was hoping to continue running the Nano in the front).

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Endoverend! said:
Did you crimp your stays yourself and if so, how did you do it?
If yours is black then it is not the comp which was green and used OX II tubing. The reason I asked is that a friend got a comp and it didn't have nearly the clearance mine had.

Another friend had a bike manufacturing facility here and I used his crimping tool. Kind of hard to describe it but it was custom made by him. There have been a couple of posts about using a piece of steel tubing and forcing it into the tight spots with a BMFH and I think that would be the ticket for you. I think they use a 2.25 od pipe? It shouldn't take much.

I rode that bike alot back when I weighed 200 lbs. on some pretty serious off road adventures and a friend that has to go 220 had it on loan here for the last 2 years (see pix). Albeit with the Manitou fork which is actually a good fit for the bike as it doesn't have much travel and doesn't affect the handling, in fact I liked the way the bike handled better with the squisher.

I think the Vapor would make a good tire also. Running a thinner tire in the rear is not a bad thing on a bike especially in the moister conditions.

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
The Smoke will fit. It was the tire that was at the time of your frame. The size difference is not enough to affect the handling much.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
shiggy said:
The Smoke will fit. It was the tire that was at the time of your frame. The size difference is not enough to affect the handling much.
The 47c Smoke was the stock tire on that bike in fact. Darn, if they had only made it the same volume as the 26" smoke back then.............

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
Bigwheel said:
The 47c Smoke was the stock tire on that bike in fact. Darn, if they had only made it the same volume as the 26" smoke back then.............
One of the magazine reviews of the bike said the 700c Smoke (tread I think) was actually 1mm wider than the Smoke Lite 26x1.9.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
shiggy said:
One of the magazine reviews of the bike said the 700c Smoke (tread I think) was actually 1mm wider than the Smoke Lite 26x1.9.
Yeah, but I wasn't thinking about the Lite. They did make a 2.1? I used to run one in the rear with a Dart front. Speaking of which I wish someone would make a true 2.3 Dart like tire in 700c.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another friend had a bike manufacturing facility here and I used his crimping tool. Kind of hard to describe it but it was custom made by him. There have been a couple of posts about using a piece of steel tubing and forcing it into the tight spots with a BMFH and I think that would be the ticket for you. I think they use a 2.25 od pipe? It shouldn't take much.

Er dumb question ..... by "BMFH"... presume you mean that the first word is Big and the last Hammer? So do you just arrange the big pipe in place and then whack it with the hammer to get the desired denting?

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Endoverend! said:

Er dumb question ..... by "BMFH"... presume you mean that the first word is Big and the last Hammer? So do you just arrange the big pipe in place and then whack it with the hammer to get the desired denting?
Yup. There was a thread a little while back by Martini that described it. The important thing is to make sure you have a hub of some sort in the drops so that you don't mess with the spacing/alignment.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bigwheel said:
Yeah, but I wasn't thinking about the Lite. They did make a 2.1? I used to run one in the rear with a Dart front. Speaking of which I wish someone would make a true 2.3 Dart like tire in 700c.
I think the 2.1 was standard for the Smoke as I recall, at least it was what I used and thought of as standard..... Wow, I never cared for the Dart much for the conditions I rode in . The ultimate combo for me in those days was a Smoke in the back and the regular old Ground Control in the front. I really wish they would make a Ground Control in 29! :)

·
Squalor
1,573 Posts
Re: the manual tire clearance increase - I used a old metal bat that kind of tapered down toward the grip section and a big hammer to give me a little extra room on an old scorcher project. Worked like a charm!

LP

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
Bigwheel said:
Yeah, 2.1 and 2.2 Smokes.

I would LOVE to see the Dart 2.2 SC rereleased! (Cindy W turned me onto it.) The 2.1 HC just did not cut it for me. A Dart SC tread on a Fire FR 2.4 casing (622 and 559 ;) ) would be awesome.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
shiggy said:
A Dart SC tread on a Fire FR 2.4 casing (622 and 559 ;) ) would be awesome.
Another one for the dream list I guess. Back in the 26" days I always had good luck with front tires that had kind of a flatter profile with some good side knobs. Like the Dart but also like some other tires that I can't remember the names of. Unlike all the 29" tires that have a much rounder profile. Oops drifting off line here into a another tire thread :rolleyes:

Another suggestion though is to go to Shiggy's most excellent tire site and check the width of the Nano he has listed there against all the other 700c offerings. I have never done it but it seems like there has to be something marginally less wide?

And taking a baseball bat and a BMFH to a bike frame, now there is a visual :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts