Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok... I bought a tire pump and a shock pump today at the LBS.

Shock pump was no problem, screw on and pump to your desired PSI and then later go set the sag.

Tire Pump.... I don't know what the deal is here. I've never used a Presta valve until I bought this bike but here is my question:

I just bought a pump which can do Presta or Schrader.

I follow the directions to use the Presta version since thats what my rims are (and yes, I've already unscrewed the Presta valve itself).

I can't even get the pump to "lock on" to the Presta valve because when I put pressure on it, it starts moving into the tire and all it is doing is letting all of the air out.

So I say screw it, I'll use the "Presta to Schrader adapter" I just bought and use it that way. So I get that to work and start pumping the tire up. Then I take the pump off and check with a PSI gauge.... damn its still only at about 25 PSI, when the tire recommends anything from 35-80 PSI.

So I keep pumping.... then I stop and think, why isn't the gauge showing any more PSI than before? I feel the tire and it is rock hard.

So my guage must be f'ed up, right?

So is there a trick to get the Presta valve to work on the pump (my pump, an Xalpin, has some internal bits that you flip to either use it for Schrader or Presta).... such as holding the back of the Presta valve through the tire?

Any why the hell is my gauge only telling me that it has 25PSI, when my tire is rock hard?

·
Permanent Noob
344 Posts
One thing to check on the valve itself is for the small chrome lockring like in the pic. It will keep the valve from retreating into the rim.

I wouldn't expect the gauge to work too well with the adapter. I know mine didn't. You should be able to get a presta-specific or combo tire gauge easily enough at your LBS or online.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
J.Cullen - my valves don't have that locking ring on them.

I can't seem to even get the pump to even get enough air in the tire using the Presta only setting.

Using the adapter I can get the tire very hard - but I have no way to measure how much PSI is in it.

Reading online it seems as if I shouldn't have bought this type of pump, since it doesn't have a built in gauge.

Do you think the LBS will take this back eventhough I used it already? I bought it today, about 2.5 hours ago.

·
Permanent Noob
344 Posts
As long as you have the receipt and everything that came with it, I don't see why they wouldn't let you trade up to one with a gauge.

Have them cover operation with you as well in case there's some trick to that model. I know I fidgited around with my frame pump the first time I used it, just because it was different than the last pump I had used.

While you're there, ask them for a couple of the lock rings. They probably have them lying around. You could also put the valve stem at 3 ro 9 o'clock and press in with your thumb when you connect the pump. This should prevent the valve from pushing back into the tire.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts