Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well in the past month i've popped 3 tires. Two back and one front. One of each in last nights ride. I've got to say, i think i'm doing something wrong here. This is alot of tubes to replace. Well anyway here is the deal. Tire pressure: 50ish, my weight 200lbs, riding full suspension on technical stuffs. Too rocky? well anythoughts on how to fix this problem? i think i might go tubeless. maybe???

·
Am I getting too bulky?
800 Posts
As I said in the other thread, you're running way too much pressure. When everyone else is running 30 to 40 psi, even 20 + psi, perhaps you've got your answer. Start with 35 psi front, and 40 psi rear, and go up or down from there, 2 psi at a time, depending on whether you pinch flat or not.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Humm i didn't think too much pressure could cause me to get flats like that. I always went higher b/c i like the bounce and not a really gushy feel with low psi. I guess that could be a problem

·
Registered
353 Posts
Have you looked at the holes in the tubes to figure out where they are blowing out? I ask this because I wonder if you are pinching the tube when you mount the tire on your rim. You could be pinching and ripping the tube with a tire lever or pinching it between the rim and tire. Then, you put a whole bunch of air in the tire, and create enough of a seal between the tube and tire that it holds air for a while. Then, with the flex of the tire from riding, the seal gets broken and the air leaks out of the hole, and it goes flat on you.

Another cause may be the high tire pressure. If you go over pointy things, they will have a tendency to pierce the tire rather than allowing the tire to flex around it. Sort of like trying to push a butter knife through a piece of paper. The tighter you hold the paper, the easier the knife will break through.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked, they aren't pinch flats, they are punctures. I don't need tire levers to put my tires over the rims, and i'm pretty tedious about making sure i get them in right and don't get twists or pinches. I guess i'll be more careful about it.

·
May contain nuts
2,372 Posts
Penn State said:
I checked, they aren't pinch flats, they are punctures. I don't need tire levers to put my tires over the rims, and i'm pretty tedious about making sure i get them in right and don't get twists or pinches. I guess i'll be more careful about it.
What do mean by "popping your tyres"? Are they exploding? Are you gashing your tyres? Skidding the rear wheel on rocks is a great way to wreck a tyre.

I like tubeless for the ability to run lower pressures (35-40psi) without pinch-flatting. Also they are less suceptable to gorse and spikey plants with some latex goop.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts