Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
implant
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently switched to Panaracer Rampage 2.35s on the front and rear of my bike (Marin XC Quad), since they are highly regarded on this board, and the Nevegal on the front was washing out abruptly. This was with narrow (17mm) Mavic 223 rims. The cornering stability and even straight-line traction, particularly in the loose stuff, and most noticeably on the front, was much better. I'm 220lbs with gear and was running 40psi front/rear.

Well then, I switched to wider (26mm) Sun Singletrack rims (great buy at Jenson with XT hubs, btw), still with the Rampages. I've tried pressures from 35-50psi, but the front seems squirrely in the loose stuff, not very confidence inspiring at all. I understand the wider rim changed the footprint of the tire, but shouldn't traction be improved?? Should I try running even lower pressures even at my weight? What pressures are other heavier riders running with the Rampage on the front? The rear is working great with 40psi.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
xcessvnold said:
I recently switched to Panaracer Rampage 2.35s on the front and rear of my bike (Marin XC Quad), since they are highly regarded on this board, and the Nevegal on the front was washing out abruptly. This was with narrow (17mm) Mavic 223 rims. The cornering stability and even straight-line traction, particularly in the loose stuff, and most noticeably on the front, was much better. I'm 220lbs with gear and was running 40psi front/rear.

Well then, I switched to wider (26mm) Sun Singletrack rims (great buy at Jenson with XT hubs, btw), still with the Rampages. I've tried pressures from 35-50psi, but the front seems squirrely in the loose stuff, not very confidence inspiring at all. I understand the wider rim changed the footprint of the tire, but shouldn't traction be improved?? Should I try running even lower pressures even at my weight? What pressures are other heavier riders running with the Rampage on the front? The rear is working great with 40psi.
I think a rounder profile tracks better (straight line stability) than a more square profile.

The narrower rim gives the tire a more round profile.

Try different pressures again--higher and lower. If you still have the narrow rim wheel try it again. Or you may need to try a different tire.

·
implant
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, thanks Shiggy...I'll experiment with the pressures somemore, and maybe even the rebound damping on the fork. Any recommendations on a (higher-volume) tire for the front that might track better in deep sand and gravel over hardpack?

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
xcessvnold said:
Ok, thanks Shiggy...I'll experiment with the pressures somemore, and maybe even the rebound damping on the fork. Any recommendations on a (higher-volume) tire for the front that might track better in deep sand and gravel over hardpack?
Nothing tracks very well in deep sand and gravel over hardpack. Generally a wider tire works better in the sand and a narrower tire on the gravel on hardpack. Then technique makes the big difference.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.