Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday at the end of my ride (T100) I met Walt for the first time. While we were chatting it was stated my tire pressure was too high. I did jack the air up that day to 50 PSI which was the first time I had done that. If it makes a difference I ride a FS bike using 2.35 Nevegal's front and rear. Is there a preferred/suggested air pressure setting? Correct me if I am wrong here. To a degree a lower pressure would yield slower roll, better traction with a tendency for more punctures. Higher pressure better roll, harder ride, less traction and smaller chance of a puncture.

By the way it was nice meeting you Walt. First face to a name here at MTBR!

·
MBAA!
294 Posts
trb2929 said:
Yesterday at the end of my ride (T100) I met Walt for the first time. While we were chatting it was stated my tire pressure was too high. I did jack the air up that day to 50 PSI which was the first time I had done that. If it makes a difference I ride a FS bike using 2.35 Nevegal's front and rear. Is there a preferred/suggested air pressure setting? Correct me if I am wrong here. To a degree a lower pressure would yield slower roll, better traction with a tendency for more punctures. Higher pressure better roll, harder ride, less traction and smaller chance of a puncture.

Go about 45psi would be my recommendation. Another reason for less pressure is when you get out in the heat, air expands, so the pressure would technically go up, which would make the tube stress a lot, so either way you will have a tendency for punctures. The 5psi wouldnt make all too much of a difference, you will roll over gravel more comfortably and have better traction. I usually run about 47psi (because you know, im high maitnence like that) and it works well. 45psi because you have larger tires, not to mention a heavier bike. Oh, and that from what I can tell most people generally do 45psi.

·
Registered
691 Posts
trb2929 said:

I run similar tires and never go higher than 30 psi, in either front or rear. I like the traction and control, and don't have pinch-flat problems at those pressures. I can't even imagine running 45-50 psi unless I was using the bike on pavement.

With UST tires/rims I run 25-28psi.

John Williams

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
trb2929 said:

Good to meet you, Tim. Keep up the riding...

You were definitely way to high - even for a big guy. Hey, AZ Clydesdale, you're another big guy - what pressures do you run?

I use thick, thorn-proof tubes and run 25 Front/30 Rear on my HT SS and 25-30 Front/30-35 Rear on my FS bike. Have had one pinch flat in recent memory. Also, I use 2.4 Motoraptor's in front and currently like a 2.4 Motoraptor in back also, though I've used a 2.3 Wierwolf in back.

BTW, I credit cycljunkie (Jim) for showing me the light re tire pressures one day SS-ing at Hawes.

·
I am Doctor Remulak
1,425 Posts
I don't know what pressures I run at, I just go by feel. Maybe I should buy a new pump some day.

On my SS I'm running a 2.24 Mutanoraptor in front and a 2.4 Motoraptor in the rear. I run a fairly low pressure in the rear because the the Motoraptor is pretty durable. The front gets adjusted according to the way the bike is handling. If it starts to slide too much in the turns then I back the pressure off a bit until it feels right.

On my FS I've been running the same 2.24 Mutanoraptor as my SS and do the same thing to adjust air pressure. I've been running the 2.35 Nevegal in the rear and it's a pretty soft tire, so I've been running it with more air than the Motoraptor on the SS.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,789 Posts
If I go below ~40 psi, I dent rims. Rims are expensive.

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies; think I will try 35 PSI when out at T100 and just a little more when riding Papago and Pemberton if I ever get out there.

Second question, anyone see a issue with exchanging the 80 mm fork to a 100 mm on my TREK 8500. Never could get comfortable on that bike as I always felt too laid out. I just ride for recreation and to help with diabetes. So changing the platform a little won’t be an issue to me. TREK is not my main bike but would like a nice Hayden belt way ride.

Walt I enjoy the heck out of riding so no plans to stop. I would like the heat back though as the sun sets too soon to get a night ride in for me. Not sure I want to be riding T100 at night alone. Too slow and winded for group rides at this point!

·
Registered
79 Posts
trb2929 said:
While we were chatting it was stated my tire pressure was too high. I did jack the air up that day to 50 PSI which was the first time I had done that. If it makes a difference I ride a FS bike using 2.35 Nevegal's front and rear.
50 psi and a 2.35? Wow... The larger the tire, the lower the pressure you're supposed to be able to get away with running. Of course, it does all depend on how much weight you're adding to the bike. By the time I get geared up, I'm pushing 190, and I run 1.9's at 40. On larger tires, I generally bring it down a little bit. For a 2.35, I'd probably be in the 35 psi range, if not a bit below. Let's say you're at 250 with gear, I'd add about 10 psi and start tweaking it from there. Everybody's going to need/want a slightly different psi. The idea is the find the psi that is fast enough for you, has enough traction, and still has enough air to keep you from riding on rims.

Hope that helps...

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,440 Posts
punctures are no more likely at lower tire pressure then they are at higher tire pressures. It's pinch flats that you get if your pressure gets too low.

Your weight is a big issue when choosing tire pressure. At 150 lbs, I run 25 in front ant 30 in back on wider 2.3-2.5 tires, or I'll go 25 psi front and rear if I'm running DH tires. With skinny little 2.1's I'll run 35 in back and 30 in front. Never have trouble with pinch flats.

·
Registered
144 Posts
i'm 160 or so lbs and never go over 35 on my conti vapors converted to tubeless with stans. usually i'll keep it around 35 for fire road climbs then let a bit of air out for more technical bits for a nicer ride and better grip.

·
Large wheels & one gear
720 Posts
Well, I just learned something new. I am running Panaracer Smoke/Dart 2.1's @ 50 psi. Think I'll try 40-45 psi.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.