Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,
Just wanted some tips on tire pressure etc.
I have the xt mojo with crossrides wheels and kenda nevegal tires. Now, I had converted my tires to tubeless with Stans kit. My question is....what is the psi you would normally put in those tires? Also, which one would have more air..the back or the front when you want more "grips" for cornering? Please explain why and kindly put in the psi ya'll run with your rigs. thanks.:D

·
Registered
194 Posts
Most of your weight will be placed on the rear tire, so ideally you would want more psi in the back to support your weight! How much psi really depends on your weight and riding style. Im about 160lbs with gear and use 22 to 23 psi in the rear. The front end gets weighed down when pushing thru corners, I use 21 psi in the front and that seems to work well for me. The best way to find what works is to go out and experiment! There is alot of veriables to consider, Riders weight,riding style and type of terrian.

·
half tread will travel
240 Posts
hey baf, i can not run any less than 30 front 33 psi back because i have found that i will roll that front tire right off the rim in the first fast corner and 2 or 3 pounds more at least if there is any square edge hits i can't hop over...the only change to this basic rule of thumb is real so going in deep snow then i may drop them to half those pressures...i ride year round in the north east woods...i weigh in at 175 w/gear...good luck...

·
Registered
471 Posts
Also remember that the pressure gauges on pumps are not very accurate. Someone thinking they are running 25psi could really be running anywhere from 20-30psi or so. This makes it kinda pointless trying to compare pressures to someone else, just run the pressure that works best for your tires and riding conditions.

·
Church of the Wheel
749 Posts
How to tell if you're running the right pressure: If your tires feel like they're rolling off the rims in corners, add air. If they slide out too easily, reduce pressure to increase traction. Somewhere in the middle there is a range of pressure where they will work best for you and your riding style on your tire type in your dirt conditions, etc. Experiment. Generally, most people run 2-5 psi higher in the rear tire because most of your weight is there, but also to reduce rolling resistance - same reason people often run skinnier tires on the rear than the front - you want a bit more grip on the front so your front end doesn't slide out in corners.

On another note, be careful about running sealant in Nevegals. I'm doing it too, but just be aware that there have been rare instances where Stans can cause problems with Kenda tires, making them delaminate and form weird mutant bumps or even pop.

·
The MTB Lab
2,556 Posts
Spend a bit and get a decent tire gauge. I run 25-27 psi for both front and rear for my tubeless setup. I ride rocky, gravely trails, but I agree that it is still a personal thing. I don't like to run below 25 psi and I have a light touch and only weigh 160, to each their own.

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
Lots of great advise already.

Using Stan's I've had problems with burping when pressures are too low for the conditions, and sudden blowoff when too high.

I can't say there is any ideal range, some tire beads hold tighter than others without blowing off or burping. And lighter riders appear to have less problems with burping or sudden blow off than heavier riders like me at 200 lbs.

With WTB Mutanoraptor and Panaracer rampage I had burp problems hard turning on hardpack with less than 27 psi, and the Rampage with Stan's blew off a DT Swiss 5.1d rim with 35 psi after 10 miles over very high traction volcanic rock conditions (at Bootleg Canyon bike park).

Using the same tires front and rear, I like to use 2 to 3 psi lower in front than rear due to wanting more traction in front with a wider tire patch for more neutral handling, also for similar tire side-roll while there is more weight on the rear through mid corner.

When I was riding 26 inch wheels I liked lower pressures 27/29 psi on dusty and loose conditions without much sharp rock using light weight high volume WTB Mutanoraptors, and higher pressures about 29/32 (not much more due to fear of blow off) over high traction slickrock and sharp rocky volcanic type trail conditions using the Rampage tires.

For the last year I've been experimenting with 650b Pacenti tires on Velocity Blunt rims, and found that I can go about 3 psi lower than 26 inch wheels for the conditions before risking burping problems. I don't know what would be the limit for higher pressures in these tires before sudden blow off.

·
The MTB Lab
2,556 Posts
Come to think of it I always run 27psi, but one of the main things is I use tires that have tough sidewalls, like the Schwalbe Snakeskin or the Conti Protection, else I can burp going of small jumps if I land at weird angles. Never had any issue with burping going through rock fields, but if I use tires with thin sidewalls (Maxxis tires) I can rip sidewalls easily in sharp rocky terrain (like Bootleg Canyon). Yes, I am a svelte 160 compared to Mr Big Derby :D

·
half tread will travel
240 Posts
six to one and one half a dozen to another...i like 2.3/2.4 tires under 600 grams with side nobs that protrude beyond the side wall for protection from side wall scrub and better cornering at extreme lean angles...it seems i use a little more air pressure than some other riders have posted but it is what it takes to keep them on the rims...good luck...

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
I usually run 25/25psi front/rear with Pacenti Neo Moto 650B tires ghetto tubeless, and 25psi with Panaracer Rampage on the rear. I weigh around 165lb. I have yet to roll or burp this setup and i've been trying....:D

R.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I usually run 20psi in the front and 25psi in the rear. I am 160 and run 26x2.3 nevegals with tubes. I like the feeling of the lower air pressure as it improves the ride quality over small bumps and gives better traction for me. Strange thing is I found myself at the trail head last ride with no pump and tires that seemed too soft to the squeeze test but I decided to go anyway and just walk it if I flatted. Did my usual faurly rocky loop and everything was fine, tires hooked up great, felt really smooth over chatter and didn't seem to roll at all even in hard cornering. When I got home and checked the pressure my front tire had 14 psi and my rear was at 19! I am not going to make a habit of riding them so low but I was really surprised that I was able to ride rocky trails at full speed and not pinch flat or roll a tire off the rim. Gotta credit the tires to some degree for their ability to stay on the rim at such low pressure.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
170 lbs (this week.) Pacenti Neo/Stan ztr ghettos at 22-25psi. (Now down to 20psi cause I need traction as my back tire is a slick right now.)
Also, mutanos at 22 ghetto on spinergies > very tight bead/rim interface (if you weigh 200lbs or more that is what you must seek , or go ghetto which makes it tighter..as long as you don't blow the kevlar bead), no flats, farts, blowoffs, etc. But then again, I can't corner like Derb ethier.

·
half tread will travel
240 Posts
hey you guys...i am just amazed at all the different configurations we all come out with in respect to our tires and their pressures...my buddies that i ride with that dare look down at their speedometers say we average over 15 mph in in flat land twisters before we even start pointing down hill...even if your tires don't blurp how do you keep them from rolling over onto the side walls.???our basic rule of thumb is 30 pounds in the front and 3 to 4 more in the back...

·
Unpredictable
2,213 Posts
I run tubeless Minion F on the back and a High Roller on the front, both 2.35 and super tacky. Partly for rolling resistance, partly cause they feel fine and partly as my Mavic 717 rims are quite narrow, I run 30 - 35 depending on where. I am 185. I have burped a smaller Larson off on a sidehill landing to broken rib, but no trouble with these.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.